Ipswich Town fans backing Frank Nouble for first start
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich v Leicester: Could Big Frank be the answer to the Blues’ goalscoring woes?
One goal in six hours of Championship football has thrust Frank Nouble into the limelight, following his hat-trick for Town’s reserves in the 4-3 victory over their Colchester United counterparts, in midweek.
A big majority of Blues supporters think it’s time the youngster was handed a maiden start, at home to Leicester City this weekend, with 74% of more than 700 fans voting in the ipswichstar.co.uk poll, believing the Londoner is the man to tame the Foxes.
Mick McCarthy described the 21-year-old as a work in progress but having watched the striker’s display against the U’s, the Blues boss cannot have failed to be impressed.
Town aren’t exactly shipping goals either, at the moment though, and the likes of David McGoldrick have been asked to play more withdrawn roles recently, sacrificing personal performances to grind out points, like the one earned at Huddersfield last weekend.
You may also want to watch:
Nouble has displayed a willingness to put defenders under pressure in his brief cameos for the first team but has yet to be tested over a prolonged period, and Championship rearguards will offer far more of an examination than the one he faced on Monday.
However, he has certainly started tongues wagging among fans, who are desperate to see Town score the goals that would go a long way towards securing their Championship survival.
- 1 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 2 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 3 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 4 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 5 Town's former Director of Football reunited with McCarthy at Cardiff
- 6 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 7 Hawkins leaves Town after just one season as striker makes League Two move
- 8 Young footballer locked up for 12 years after 'vicious' machete attack
- 9 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 10 Former Town loanee joins McCarthy's Cardiff side
And Nouble is certainly living up to the comments he made when he moved to Ipswich last month.
“Whether it be in training, coming on for five minutes, or starting – I’m desperate to take my chances when they come along,” he said.