‘A remarkable failure across the board’ - Town fans on ‘embarrassing’ season after League One is ended
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town fans have been reacting to the news that the team’s season is over after today’s EFL vote - here’s a taste of what they’ve been saying.
The first meeting of the day, involving all 71 clubs from the three EFL divisions, decided how the final standings would be decided before a second, held between League One clubs only, ultimately saw an ‘overwhelming majority’ of third tier clubs vote to end the season now.
With the EFL framework approved earlier in the day meaning that just the traditional four teams will contest the play-offs behind closed doors, Town, who finish 11th in the table using the points per game calculation which has been agreed upon, have no further part to play in the season.
It’s a hugely disappointing end to Town’s first season in the third tier for more than half a century, with expectations high that the Blues would bounce straight back to the Championship at the first time of asking.
Of course, they started the season superbly, topping the league and, at one point, just Town and all-conquering Liverpool stood alone as the remaining unbeaten sides in all four divisions.
You may also want to watch:
But it all dissolved in a mess of squad rotation, postponed games and injuries, leaving Town with a lot of questions to answer if they are to turn things around next season - whenever that may be!
- What do you think? Leave a comment below!
- 1 Lorry driver hailed as hero after truck crushed in port accident
- 2 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 3 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 4 Cage fighter Alex Reid jailed after OUR story exposes lie in insurance claim
- 5 Family's tribute to 'always smiling' Jack after tragic death aged 27
- 6 Plans to create 'Suffolk Silicon Fen' killed by market forces
- 7 Missing dad wanted in connection with assault which happened day before he disappeared
- 8 Air ambulance called to medical emergency
- 9 A12 closed following serious collision
- 10 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab