Ipswich Town forward David McGoldrick makes the cut for Republic of Ireland
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Ipswich Town forward David McGoldrick has made the cut for the Republic of Ireland squad ahead of their World Cup qualifier in Austria on Saturday (5pm ko).
Manager Martin O’Neill has reduced his initial 35-strong party, which was named last week, down to 28. Ireland currently top Group D with seven points from three games. They will train in Dublin before departing for Vienna on Thursday.
Nottingham-born McGoldrick discovered that he was eligible to play for Ireland in 2014. He has won only four caps since then due to a series of injuries, his return to fitness at the back end of last season coming just too late to be included in the Euro 2016 squad.
McGoldrick is one of four strikers in the squad, alongside ex-Blues man Jonathan Walters (Stoke City), Adam Rooney (Aberdeen) and Kevin Doyle (Colorado Rapids).
Former Town striker Daryl Murphy, who moved to Newcastle United in a £3m deal at the end of August, in isn’t involved having struggled with a calf injury since the last international break.
Dundalk winger Daryl Horgan, who Mick McCarthy says the Blues are monitoring along with ‘100 other scouts’, has also retained his place having received his first senior call-up.
Blues midfield duo Jonny Williams and Tom Lawrence are both in the Wales squad for their Group D qualifier against Serbia, in Cardiff, on Saturday (7.45pm), while defender Christophe Berra is in the Scotland squad for the Group F game against England, at Wembley, on Friday night (7.45pm).
- 1 London couple transform Suffolk home into an 'intimate' lifestyle retreat
- 2 Forbidden Suffolk: 5 more places you can’t visit in Suffolk
- 3 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 4 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 5 The night Town beat Real Madrid - and why they're still part of elite club
- 6 Driver being taken to hospital after car ends up on roof in field
- 7 Two motorbikes stolen after break-in at Suffolk home
- 8 When will bins be emptied during the Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend?
- 9 Village suffers power cut for 7 hours after vehicle hits electricity pole
- 10 Former Town striker's front-to-back season could end in Wembley glory
Republic of Ireland: Darren Randolph (West Ham United), Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday), Colin Doyle (Bradford City), Seamus Coleman (Everton), Richard Keogh, Alex Pearce (Derby County), John O’Shea (Sunderland), Ciaran Clark (Newcastle United), Paul McShane (Reading), Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion), Andy Boyle (Dundalk), Aiden McGeady (Preston North End, on loan from Everton), James McClean (West Bromwich Albion), Jeff Hendrick (Burnley), Glenn Whelan (Stoke City), Harry Arter (Bournemouth), Eunan O’Kane (Leeds United), David Meyler (Hull City), Stephen Gleeson (Birmingham City), Robbie Brady, Wes Hoolahan (Norwich City), Callum O’Dowda (Bristol City), Jonathan Hayes (Aberdeen), Daryl Horgan (Dundalk), Jonathan Walters (Stoke City), Adam Rooney (Aberdeen), Kevin Doyle (Colorado Rapids), David McGoldrick (Ipswich Town).