Ipswich Town have Joe Ward to thank for Chippenham win
Trialist Joe Ward scored the only goal of the game as a young Ipswich Town XI won 1-0 at Southern League outfit Chippenham, on Saturday.
Ward, who is a football apprentice at Chelmsford College and broke into the Clarets’ first-team squad at the back-end of last season, converted a Cory Galvin centre to give the Blues victory.
One player who did not feature was Tyrone Mings – the two teams arranging the friendly as part of the deal that saw the 20-year-old join Mick McCarthy’s side last year.
The left-back was omitted from the travelling squad after suffering a knock, while Aaron Cresswell limped off injured at Crawley on Wednesday.
Town’s senior squad are in action at Gillingham tomorrow evening and McCarthy explained.
You may also want to watch:
“Tyrone has a knock and we don’t want to take any chances at this stage,” he said.
“We have Aaron Cresswell injured at the minute as well and with a game coming up on Tuesday at Gillingham, we are light on left-backs.
- 1 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 2 Body of man, 22, found in River Orwell
- 3 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 4 Mum of 'beautiful' Lily calls for young people to have their hearts tested
- 5 'I'll always have love for Ipswich, but it was time to move on' - Dozzell signs for QPR
- 6 'Kind and loving' husband-to-be dies of lymphoma aged 27
- 7 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 8 Former Town assistant Taylor back in football
- 9 265 new homes set to be built off A14 at Stowmarket
- 10 Forward Sears completes Colchester return
“It’s disappointing for Tyrone. I know he was looking forward to going back to Chippenham and we’ve reluctantly pulled him out of the squad but I’ve got to look at what’s ahead.”