Ipswich remain serious Windass contenders as talks progress ahead of deadline day
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Ipswich Town remain serious contenders to land Rangers forward Josh Windass, we understand.
The Blues’ interest in the 24-year-old, son of former Middlesbrough and Hull striker Dean, emerged on Monday night and discussions continue between the two clubs. The potential fee is thought to be somewhere north of £1.5million, with the two clubs thought to be nearing an agreement.
With the window for permanent transfers closing at 5pm tomorrow, time is running out to get the deal done, although Windass could undergo his medical in Glasgow rather than travel to Suffolk should the move progress to that stage. Rangers are in Europa League action tomorrow night, which is also thought to be a factor.
Windass, who scored 18 goals for the Ibrox club last season, played in a wide left role for Rangers at Aberdeen on Sunday, winning the visitors’ penalty in a 1-1 draw.
Though manager Steven Gerrard has praised the forward during pre-season, there is a sense Windass is keen to test himself at Championship level to further his career.
It remains unclear whether a move for Windass is dependent on a potential departure of Joe Garner, with Bolton, Millwall and Sheffield United all known to be interested. Bolton’s interest is thought to have cooled slightly.
Ipswich will complete the signing of Accrington Stanley striker Kayden Jackson tomorrow morning, with a deal starting at £1.6million and potentially rising to around £2million.
- 1 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 2 Highways chiefs fear 'severe impact' of 1,375-home plans
- 3 When will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk today?
- 4 When will bins be emptied during the Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend?
- 5 London couple transform Suffolk home into an 'intimate' lifestyle retreat
- 6 Forbidden Suffolk: 5 more places you can’t visit in Suffolk
- 7 Driver being taken to hospital after car ends up on roof in field
- 8 Highways officials to discuss speed limits on busy Suffolk road
- 9 Road closed after two-vehicle crash in Suffolk village
- 10 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
The deal for Jackson comes following Martyn Waghorn’s departure to Derby for an initial £5million, while Joe Garner has been monitored by Bolton, Millwall and Sheffield United this summer.