Ipswich show interest in Rangers stopper Foderingham as potential Bialkowski replacement
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Ipswich Town have shown an interest in Rangers goalkeeper Wes Foderingham as they look at potential replacements for star stopper Bartosz Bialkowski.
It is understood the Blues will do all they can to keep hold of Bialkowski following his return from the World Cup but, with the Pole entering the final year of his contract, are understandably looking at potential replacements.
Bialkowski’s contract situation could force Ipswich’s hand, with the 31-year-old not yet signing the deal which former manager Mick McCarthy revealed was agreed in January.
We understand reports in Scotland linking 27-year-old Foderingham with a move to Ipswich are correct, with contact already made, although it is a move which will only be pursued should the Blues have no option but to sell Bialkowski.
Aston Villa are also said to be interested.
Foderingham has been told he is able to leave Ibrox by new Rangers manager Steve Gerrard, with the Scottish giants signing Allan McGregor from Hull this summer and having Jak Alnwick on their books already.
He is now looking for a club, with the news he is free to leave Ibrox greeted with surprise.
Since signing from Swindon in the summer of 2015, Foderingham has quickly become a fans’ favourite at Ibrox, initially helping them return to the Scottish top flight ahead of two seasons in the Premiership.
- 1 Paul Cook sacked by Ipswich Town
- 2 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 3 Matchday Recap: A replay awaits as Town fail to beat Barrow
- 4 Harsh or fair? Here's what Town fans are saying about Paul Cook sacking
- 5 Ipswich Town set to announce caretaker manager
- 6 Driver arrested for being four times over legal limit
- 7 Body found in woods near Mildenhall
- 8 'We're probably not as good as we think we are' - Cook on FA Cup draw with Barrow
- 9 Hundreds sign petition to fix closed Suffolk road as MP visits site
- 10 'Gutted to see the gaffer go' - Norwood on Cook sacking
Foderingham, a superb shot-stopper who is able to play out from the back with his feet, has made 130 appearances for the Glasgow club having previously impressed with Swindon Town.
He was Paolo Di Canio’s goalkeeper as the Robins won the League Two title in 2011/12 and was part of the side which reached the League One play-off final in 2015 where the Robins lost to Preston.
Ipswich signed two players from Rangers last summer, with Joe Garner and Martyn Waghorn moving to Portman Road in deals worth a combined £1million.
Crystal Palace were linked with a move for Bialkowski in January, but the Eagles have signed Vicente Guaita from Getafe and have locked Welshman Wayne Hennessey into a new three-year contract this summer.