On this day in Town history: UEFA Cup wins, a five-goal thriller and much more!
- Credit: Archant
In the first of a new series, we take a look at what happened on this day in Ipswich Town history...
We start on this day 38 years ago, when Town began their route to the UEFA Cup final, after they beat Greek side Aris Salonika 5-1 in the UEFA Cup First Round, First Leg.
John Wark scored four goals in the action-packed game at Portman Road, with the visitors’ George Firos seeing red in the 36th minute.
In 1988, Town beat Watford 3-2 at Portman Road as Simon Milton, Dalian Atkinson and David Lowe scored for the Blues in the Divison Two league clash as Town continued their unbeaten start to the 1988-89 season.
Five years ago today, Town came from behind to beat Yeovil Town 2-1 in the Championship under the lights at Portman Road, thanks to goals from Daryl Murphy and Aaron Cresswell.
You may also want to watch:
Also on this day in 1975, Town won 2-1 at Feyenoord in the UEFA Cup First Round, First Leg, thanks to goals from Trevor Whymark and Dave Johnson, while in 2008 the Blues drew 2-2 at Southampton with Owen Garvan and Alan Quinn scoring for Town.
- 1 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 2 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 3 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 4 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 5 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 6 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 7 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 8 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 9 Gill on the move again as former Town coach heads to the Championship
- 10 Obsessed man thought barmaid was in love with him