Tractor Girls progress in FA Cup after some extra-time excitement
- Credit: Archant
SSE FA Cup first round Ipswich Town Ladies 4 Leyton Orient 2 Ipswich Town secured their place in the second round of the women’s FA Cup with a dramatic 4-2 extra-time victory over Leyton Orient at The Goldstar Ground yesterday.
Goals from Sophie Welton, Cassie Craddock, Gemma Moore and Zoe Cossey saw the Blues progress – and seal a seventh straight win in all competitions – after an incredibly tough 120 minutes of football played in horrendous conditions.
At the end of a miserable first half of very few chances, Town took the lead when Craddock’s corner resulted in a goalmouth scramble and the ball eventually fell to Welton to poke home from two yards.
Ipswich doubled their advantage in the 73rd minute when Miagh Downey worked her way down the right flank before providing an inch-perfect cut-back. Craddock arrived late, skipped past a defender and slotted home.
Orient hit back with two quickfire goals though. First, Sophie Le Marchand tapped-in after Town failed to clear their lines, then a failed Ipswich clearance deflected off the head of defender Harriet Petley and ricocheted into the net to take the game to extra-time.
The East London side were buoyed by their late fight-back and would have been in front soon after the restart were it not for Fagg’s outstanding fingertip save.
Having weathered the storm, the Tractor Girls were soon back in front. Cossey played it out wide to substitute Moore and the winger’s deep cross sailed over the head of keeper Vanessa Wilson and into the top corner.
- 1 15 strikers that Ipswich Town could turn to for goals this summer
- 2 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 3 Plans for 20 homes in Suffolk village unanimously refused
- 4 5 miles of congestion on A14 after crash involving car and two lorries
- 5 Community sadness after death of man who was found in river
- 6 Fire crews tackle blaze for several hours at Suffolk farm
- 7 Woman freed from vehicle after car overturns near to shops
- 8 Family's support for 'mum-in-a-million' after double amputation for sepsis
- 9 Long delays on A14 near Ipswich after police called to hole in the road
- 10 Ipswich Town's 'true league standing' revealed in new survey
The extra-time excitement continued as Orient were awarded a penalty just four minutes later after a trip from Ipswich full-back Jac Ball. Danielle Griffiths stepped up for the O’s but her penalty was excellently saved down low by Fagg.
That penalty scare acted as a wake-up call for the Blues and they sealed victory when Natasha Thomas burst through the Orient defence, firing her shot off the post with the alert Cossey burying the rebound.
Ralph Pruden’s side are next in action at Hadleigh United in the Suffolk FA Women’s County Cup this Sunday.
Town XI: Fagg, Ball, Petley, Cooper, Cage, Welton (Moore), Craddock (Pannifer), Arnoup, Cossey, Thomas, Downey.