Ipswich Town Ladies crush Norwich City 5-0 in first East Anglian derby of the season
- Credit: Archant
FA Women’s Premier League South East Division One Norwich City 0 Ipswich Town 5 Ipswich Town Ladies claimed the first bragging rights of the season with a resounding 5-0 victory over local rivals Norwich City at Norwich United’s Plantation Park last night, writes Kieren Standley
A brace from winger Zoe Cossey and other goals from Natasha Thomas, Cassie Craddock and Miagh Downey saw Town to a well deserved three points.
Town took the lead after just three minutes. Tammi Blackwood played the ball down the left to Cossey, who cut in and unleashed a stunning strike into the top right hand corner from just outside the area.
Norwich nearly found an equalizer on the half hour mark but Chelsea Garrett saw her shot come back off the inside of the post.
Town doubled their advantage nine minutes later as Natasha Thomas pounced on an error from Norwich keeper Fiona Coombes and fired it into an open net.
You may also want to watch:
Five minutes later and it was three, Cassie Craddock was alert to react to another error from Coombes and slotted the ball in the bottom right hand corner from just inside the box.
The dominant first half was overshadowed by a serious knee injury suffered by Town keeper Leanne Smith, who later had to be taken to hospital.
- 1 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 4 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 5 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 6 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 7 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic
- 8 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 9 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 10 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
After an extended half-time break, it took Town just nine minutes to extend their lead further. Coombes spilled Amanda Crump’s corner and Downey was there to stab home with her first goal for the Blues.
Norwich had a chance of a consolation goal in the 63rd minute, as Aimee Durrant burst into the area and fired her shot at stand in Blues keeper Sian Fagg who spilled the ball but the rebound from Garrett cannoned off the crossbar.
Town sealed the victory eight minutes from time. Substitute Tori Campbell played in Cossey, who calmly lifted it over the keeper for her second goal of the game.
The result sees Town top of the FA Women’s Premier League South East Division One on goal difference, with their next game coming away at 11th placed Enfield Town this Sunday.
Town: Smith (Moore), Ball, Cage, Cooper, Blackwood, Fagg, Craddock, Crump (c), Cossey (S.Welton), Thomas, Downey (Campbell).