Ipswich Town Ladies development team win league title
- Credit: Archant
Suffolk Girls and Womens Football League Ipswich Town Ladies development team 6 Copleston 0 The Ipswich Town ladies development team were crowned deserved champions of the Suffolk Girls and Womens Football League, after comfortably beating Copleston 6-0, in a game where plenty of chances were created but weren’t finished off by the home side.
Despite this they were very happily crowned league champions.
The first half seemed to fly by with Town dominating chances and taking advantage of their upper hand..
Despite a nervy beginning Ipswich gradually brought themselves closer to scoring, forcing some superb saves from the Copleston keeper.
The deadlock was finally broken when Khadija Gbaja managed to head the ball past the outstanding Copleston shot-stopper.
Minutes later a ferocious volley, from long range, was parried perfectly to the feet of Destiny Minors, who finished calmly. Town scored their third goal on the stroke of half-time.
A deflected effort from Grace Bowman meant Ipswich went into the half three goals up, looking extremely confident and in control.
- 1 London couple transform Suffolk home into an 'intimate' lifestyle retreat
- 2 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 3 Forbidden Suffolk: 5 more places you can’t visit in Suffolk
- 4 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 5 The night Town beat Real Madrid - and why they're still part of elite club
- 6 Driver being taken to hospital after car ends up on roof in field
- 7 Two motorbikes stolen after break-in at Suffolk home
- 8 When will bins be emptied during the Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend?
- 9 Village suffers power cut for 7 hours after vehicle hits electricity pole
- 10 'Rare' home of former socialite and artist goes up for sale for £1.5m
And their dominance was to continue, moments after the beginning of the second-half, as a cross from Sian Cottrell was perfectly met by the head of Emily Steward.
Indeed, Cottrell was Town’s stand-out performer by a mile.
The opposition hardly created any decent opportunities but were unlucky not to score after being put through one on one, the Copleston forward failed to find the back of the net but in the process did manage to force a save from the Town keeper.
It was comfortable from then on in with both Elin Davies and Emily Steward, once again, adding to the tally after some lovely football.
Chances were created but weren’t finished although Town eased to victory and the championship.
And so there were wild celebrations at the conclusion of an admirable performance, with players and staff enjoying the fruits of their labours this season.
Town Team: Kodova, N Thomas, Gbaja, Cage, Monk, Davies, Minors, Cottrell, Cooke (Upton), Bowman, Steward.