Ipswich Town leading chase for Nottingham Forest defender Luke Chambers
NOTTINGHAM Forest captain Luke Chambers is close to agreeing a free transfer switch to Championship rivals Ipswich Town.
The 26-year-old is out of contract after Saturday and though he has been coveted by Premier League sides in the past, his dip in form last year had seen that interest wane.
That has left the door open for Paul Jewell to swoop with a deal hoping to be concluded in time for the official start of pre-season in seven days time.
Sources close to the player have suggested that Forest boss Steve Cotterill has conceded that the stalling over his club’s takeover have forced the former City player of the year to look elsewhere.
And we understand Jewell is confident he will get his man – following the signing of promising teenage right-back Elliott Hewitt.
You may also want to watch:
At least one new centre-back was a top priority for the Blues boss who currently just has left-footed duo Damien Delaney and Tommy Smith as options, with the latter in danger of missing the start of the season due to his Olympic involvement.
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 3 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 4 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 5 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock
- 6 Town complete Chaplin deal as Barnsley forward becomes signing No.10
- 7 Colchester United 3 Ipswich Town 3: Burns' late strike levels it for Town
- 8 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
- 9 Pedestrian taken to hospital after collision with car
- 10 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-3 draw at Colchester