Ipswich Town transfer rumours: McCarthy keen on reunion with Middlesbrough midfielder
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Ipswich Town are interested in signing out-of-favour Middlesbrough midfielder Adlene Guardioura, according to the Sunday People.
Boro signed the Algerian international for a reported £3.5m from Watford last January, handing him a three-and-a-half-year deal, but a hamstring injury has hampered his time with the Teesiders and he has made just one senior start for the club.
Tony Pulis replaced Garry Monk in charge at the Riverside recently and is looking to build his own team.
Meanwhile, Blues boss Mick McCarthy – who signed Guardiora for Wolves in 2010 – is looking to bolster his injury-hit midfield with a short-term signing.
Speaking last week, McCarthy, who is now in the final few months of his contract, facing an uncertain future and working on a tight financial budget, said: “I’m trying to get them on loan so they are short-term deals anyway.
“That’s for them to come and play. If somebody wants to come and play, they will come and play. If they want to get out of a team where they’re not playing, they will want to come and play.
“I’m not offering anybody any long-termism, long-term deals, I’m offering them to the end of the season to come and try and help us. It’s a symbiotic deal – I’ll try and help them get back in their team and get back in their squad.
- 1 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 2 New landlord hopes to make Suffolk pub 'centre' of village community
- 3 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 4 Plans for two drive-through takeaways in Suffolk town
- 5 New landlords take over award-winning pub and brewery in Suffolk village
- 6 Boy, 10, asked to get in car by two men near Sudbury
- 7 The former Ipswich players looking for new clubs this summer
- 8 Man caught in undercover police sting trying to meet '13-year-old girl'
- 9 Boss McKenna on Town's 'challenging and important' pre-season schedule
- 10 Cobwebs spotted covering entire trees across Suffolk
“Who knows, if they do well and we do well then we might be able to have a chat about staying on longer.”
Town currently have central midfielders Emyr Huws, Tom Adeyemi, Teddy Bishop, Andre Dozzell, Flynn Downes and Tristan Nydam all sidelined.