Ipswich Town transfer rumours: McCarthy keen on reunion with Middlesbrough midfielder
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Ipswich Town are interested in signing out-of-favour Middlesbrough midfielder Adlene Guardioura, according to the Sunday People.
Boro signed the Algerian international for a reported £3.5m from Watford last January, handing him a three-and-a-half-year deal, but a hamstring injury has hampered his time with the Teesiders and he has made just one senior start for the club.
Tony Pulis replaced Garry Monk in charge at the Riverside recently and is looking to build his own team.
Meanwhile, Blues boss Mick McCarthy – who signed Guardiora for Wolves in 2010 – is looking to bolster his injury-hit midfield with a short-term signing.
Speaking last week, McCarthy, who is now in the final few months of his contract, facing an uncertain future and working on a tight financial budget, said: “I’m trying to get them on loan so they are short-term deals anyway.
You may also want to watch:
“That’s for them to come and play. If somebody wants to come and play, they will come and play. If they want to get out of a team where they’re not playing, they will want to come and play.
“I’m not offering anybody any long-termism, long-term deals, I’m offering them to the end of the season to come and try and help us. It’s a symbiotic deal – I’ll try and help them get back in their team and get back in their squad.
- 1 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 2 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 3 Matchday Recap: Goalless again in first game of a new era at Town
- 4 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 5 Driver goes to court over speed camera calibration dispute
- 6 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 7 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 8 Plans for 170 homes in village outside of Ipswich
- 9 Managing director of popular zoos steps down after 28 years
- 10 'It was a surprise for a lot of us... but these are exciting times' - Gill on takeover
“Who knows, if they do well and we do well then we might be able to have a chat about staying on longer.”
Town currently have central midfielders Emyr Huws, Tom Adeyemi, Teddy Bishop, Andre Dozzell, Flynn Downes and Tristan Nydam all sidelined.