Watch Blues loanee Downes fool three Crawley players with tricky footwork... as Luton boss compares him to Ryan Mason
- Credit: Archant
Flynn Downes continues to impress in the early days of his loan spell at League Two leaders Luton.
The young midfielder moved to Kenilworth Road on deadline day having broken into the Blues side at the start of the campaign, earning rave reviews for his early displays for the Hatters.
He again played 90 minutes as Luton beat Crawley 4-1 on Tuesday night, extending their lead at the top to six points, during which he showed neat touches to bamboozle three visiting players in the first half.
Luton boss Nathan Jones, who was gushing in his praise for the Ipswich teenager after his debut earlier this month, compared Downes to Ryan Mason this week, who he worked with during his time as Yeovil assistant.
The former Tottenham and Hull player was sadly forced to retire this week, a year on from suffering a serious head injury following a collison with Chelsea’s Gary Cahill.
“Flynn reminds me a little bit of him (Mason) - the way he is, the way he goes about his work,” Jones said.
“I’m really sad and it’s fitting because he was one of the best players and Ryan would’ve liked playing in this team.”
- 1 14 players that could solve Town's left-sided problem
- 2 Man dies after being found unresponsive in Sudbury river
- 3 'We're blown away' - Classic car show visits care home after roadworks setback
- 4 Community sadness after death of man who was found in river
- 5 Former Suffolk poultry farm site could be converted into homes
- 6 Historic former pub with permission to convert into homes set for auction
- 7 'New-look' Aldi store set to reopen in Sudbury, creating additional jobs
- 8 Bent names Town stars among his best-ever team-mates
- 9 Man left with head injury after attack in seaside town
- 10 Boy, 14, arrested after serious sex attack in Suffolk town is released
Of Downes, Jones said: “He’ll turn into some player and we hope we can be part of that education,”