‘He’s super talented... he will have a really good career’ - Cambridge boss backs El Mizouni after injury blow
- Credit: Archant
Cambridge boss Mark Bonner has praised the performances and attitude of Idris El Mizouni following the Ipswich Town midfielder’s season-ending knee injury.
The teenager had been impressing during his loan with the League Two side, playing an important part in an impressive run which had moved the Abbey Stadium side away from relegation trouble and firmly into mid-table.
But he suffered medial knee ligament damage in Saturday's home loss to Carlisle and has returned to Ipswich for treatment on an injury which is set to keep him out until the start of pre-season training.
"He's super talented, and I think people saw that," Cambridge interim head coach Bonner said. "He didn't play all of every game, but people will remember the free-kick he scored in Scunthorpe as a highlight.
"I felt he was just getting settled with us. I spoke to him earlier in the week and told him that he does something that is really important for young players: he's talented but he mixes it with work-ethic and humility, and that's quite a good lesson for lots of our younger players as well.
You may also want to watch:
"He's a really talented boy and I think he will have a really good career.
"He's thought of well at Ipswich, and it's a shame for us but it gives someone else an opportunity."
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 'Nothing surprises me anymore' - Judge on Town departure
- 3 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 defeat at Northampton Town
- 4 Have you seen this Suffolk pub’s new outdoor kitchen and bar?
- 5 Why have ITFC's American owners issued £18m of new shares?
- 6 DHL driver apologises after 'dangerous' driving in Ipswich rat-run
- 7 A blow for Cook as trusted assistant Richardson gets full-time Wigan job
- 8 'Loving and devoted' - Family pay tribute to mother-of-five found in park
- 9 Grandfather-of-two 'died with dignity' in hospice while serving life sentence
- 10 Man seen waving axe on horseback is jailed
El Mizouni made seven Cambridge appearances, scoring once.