Ipswich Town manager has one eye on next season’s squad
- Credit: Archant
IPSWICH TOWN manager Mick McCarthy has revealed he has an idea of which players he would like to keep at Portman Road next season, despite Championship survival not being mathematically secured.
Contracted players Andy Drury, Arran Lee-Barrett and Lee Martin’s deals run out in July, while Richard Stearman and Aaron Mclean will return to Wolves and Hull respectively.
In addition, the likes of Daryl Murphy, Guirane N’Daw, Patrick Kisnorbo, Jay Tabb will leave their current clubs, while Reece Brown’s future at Manchester United is unclear, with the defender’s deal also set to run out in the summer.
“I’ve got a good idea of who I want to keep and what I want to do, but they’ve also got an idea as to what they want to do,” said McCarthy.
“Playing in the first division (Championship) is one thing they’ll be wanting to do, so there’s a bit of motivation for them over the coming days. They’ll be wanting to negotiate as Championship players.”
You may also want to watch:
McCarthy has already told Jack Ainsley, Cormac Burke, Ronan Murray, Gunnar Thorsteinsson and Joe Whight that they will not be offered new deals.
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 3 Ipswich Town's 2021/22 League One fixtures revealed as Blues start at home
- 4 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 5 'We're working tirelessly... I'm hopeful of new signings fairly shortly' - Town CEO Ashton on transfers
- 6 Man in 50s dies following crash on Suffolk border
- 7 League One side showing strong interest in Ipswich youngster Lankester
- 8 New beginnings, old faces and a return home - what to look for on 'fixtures day'
- 9 Ipswich to face army of familiar faces as Town draw U's in EFL Trophy
- 10 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown