Ipswich Town midfielder Andre Dozzell moved into England Under-19 squad ahead of European Championships
Ipswich Town midfielder Andre Dozzell has been switched from the England Under-20s group preparing to play at the Toulon Tournament in France to the U19s squad travelling to Georgia for July’s European Championships.
England’s U20s will take on Angola in their first group game of the Toulon Tournament next Monday, but it’s been decided that Dozzell will be of more use to Keith Downing’s U19s.
The Young Lions will take on Bulgaria in their opening European Championships group game (Monday, July 3), then face Holland (Thursday, July 6) and Germany (Saturday, July 8), with all the matches taking place in Tbilisi. The final game will be shown live by Eurosport.
Dozzell, who signed a new contract running to the summer of 2020 when he turned 18 earlier this month, was a regular for the England U17s and has won nine U18 caps.
The former Copleston High School pupil memorably scored on his Town debut aged 16 in April 2016 and made seven starts and two substitute appearances in the season just finished.
His U19 call-up means Dozzell will miss the start of pre-season training with the Blues, with Mick McCarthy’s squad due back at Playford Road on June 26.
Town midfielder Tristan Nydam and striker Ben Morris, both 17, are on standby for England’s U20s ahead of the Toulon Tournament.
Midfielder Kundai Benyu is in the Zimbabwe squad for an African Cup of Nations qualifier against Liberia. The 19-year-old impressed on loan at National League side Aldershot at the back end of the season.
Ipswich Town’s confirmed pre-season fixtures
- 1 School apologises for GCSE paper error as it falls to inadequate
- 2 £1.5million project set to turn north Essex towns into giant gaming areas
- 3 'We are both in love' - Ed Sheeran announces birth of second daughter
- 4 'It makes you want to cry' - anger as bench dumped in pond at country park
- 5 Man identified after dog walker threatened in Sudbury
- 6 Girl, 12, injured after having foot run over by driver
- 7 Revealed: The wealthiest people in East Anglia on the Sunday Times Rich List
- 8 My Suffolk Life: ‘We had to move to Suffolk to be together’
- 9 Woman injured after car flips on its roof near Ipswich
- 10 Colchester gets city status - fuelling disappointment over no Ipswich bid
Drogheda United (a) – Saturday, July 8 (2pm ko)
Peterborough (a) – Tuesday, July 18 (7pm)
Colchester Utd (a) – Tuesday, July 25 (7.30pm)
Charlton (a) – Saturday, July 29 (3pm)