Downes included in England Under 19 squad for Euro qualifiers
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Ipswich Town midfielder Flynn Downes has been included in the England Under 19 squad for three European Championship qualifying games during the international break.
Downes, who has made 11 appearances for the Blues so far in 2017/18 after emerging during pre-season, has been called up for the clashes with Bulgaria, Iceland and the Faroe Islands.
There is no place for Downes’ Ipswich Town midfield partner Tristan Nydam, though, for the trip which will see all three clashes played in Bulgaria.
The Young Lions are beginning the defence of the title they won in Georgia in the summer, a victory in which injured Blues midfielder Andre Dozzell played a part.
Downes, 18, made his Under 19 debut against Germany in September and is part of a squad including Borussia Dortmund forward Jadon Sancho, Joe Willock and Reiss Nelson of Arsenal and Ryan Sessegnon of Fulham.
You may also want to watch:
England Under 19 squad: Ellery Balcombe - Brentford, Ryan Schofield - Huddersfield Town , Jake Turner - Bolton Wanderers, Trevoh Chalobah - Chelsea, Morgan Feeney - Everton, Reece James – Chelsea, Japhet Tanganga - Tottenham Hotspur, Josh Tymon - Stoke City, Dennis Adeniran - Everton, Flynn Downes - Ipswich Town, Elliot Embleton - Sunderland, Mason Mount - Vitesse Arnhem (loan from Chelsea), Ryan Sessegnon - Fulham, Dujon Sterling - Chelsea, Marcus Tavernier - Middlesbrough, Joe Willock - Arsenal, Ben Brereton - Nottingham Forest, George Hirst - Sheffield Wednesday, Reiss Nelson - Arsenal, Edward Nketiah - Arsenal, Jadon Sancho - Borussia Dortmund.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 3 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 4 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 5 £1m renovation on Suffolk castle will change the appearance
- 6 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 7 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 8 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash
- 9 Revealed: The most popular names for babies born in Suffolk in 2020
- 10 21-year-old airlifted to hospital after car crashes into trees