‘The gaffer knows what I can do’ - Downes keen to add goals to his name
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Flynn Downes is enjoying playing a more advanced role under Paul Lambert but knows he needs to add goals to his game.
The teenager has played in 10 of Lambert’s 12 games in charge, operating higher up the pitch than he did under former boss Paul Hurst, but has yet to open his account for the club.
“I’ve been playing, that’s the main change for me, and as a footballer that’s all you can really ask for,” he said.
“He’s put the trust in me and all I can do is thank him for that.
“I’ve been playing a bit higher up the pitch and I do like that. Before I’ve only played as the deeper man and that’s all I really knew.
“The gaffer knows what I can do and I’ve been enjoying it.
“I need a goal, though. Every week I get a message from my mum telling me I need a goal and I tell her ‘I’m trying’.
- 1 A12 reopens after air ambulance called to three-lorry crash
- 2 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 3 Forbidden Suffolk: 6 places you can't visit in the county
- 4 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
- 5 Teenager arrested after six people injured on university campus
- 6 Suffolk town named one of the best places to go on holiday in the UK
- 7 New hair salon opens up with its very own puppy on the premises
- 8 A12 and A14 set for upgrades after £200m investment in Suffolk roads
- 9 Men convicted of kidnap and rape of Ipswich girl
- 10 Mike Bacon: 'Kieron Dyer is in reception... Yes, he's on crutches'
“Goals are something I need to add to my game, I’m trying to get in the box and hopefully once I get one then more will come.”
Downes is likely to start in midfield tomorrow, when Rotherham visit Portman Road.