Ipswich Town midfielder Jonathan Douglas apologises to Derby midfielder George Thorne after he suffered suspected broken leg
Ipswich Town midfielder Jonathan Douglas has sent his best wishes to Derby midfielder George Thorne, who suffered a suspected broken leg at the iPro stadium this afternoon.
The Derby midfielder suffered the injury following a tackle from Douglas, in the closing stages of the Blues’ 1-0 victory against the Rams this afternoon.
Douglas wrote a message on Twitter this evening insisting there was no malice in the challenge and wished Thorne a speedy recovery, with the Derby midfielder quickly replying to insist there were ‘no hard feelings’.
“Absolutely gutted with what happened with George today,” Douglas wrote.
“In no way did I intend on hurting him - I was just trying to block his shot, and help my team,
“I did apologise to him on the pitch and would like to put it on record again that I am sorry.
“Never do I like to see a fellow professional injured.
- 1 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 2 New landlord hopes to make Suffolk pub 'centre' of village community
- 3 Seven players who could leave Ipswich Town this summer
- 4 A14 westbound reopens after crash caused 7 miles of delays
- 5 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 6 Conveyor belt which carried pig carcases across Suffolk A-road is demolished
- 7 Mercedes and Vauxhall flip over after crash in busy Ipswich road
- 8 Boy, 10, asked to get in car by two men near Sudbury
- 9 Boss McKenna on Town's 'challenging and important' pre-season schedule
- 10 Queen's Platinum Jubilee Flypast to pass over Suffolk
“I truly wish him a speedy recovery and my thoughts are with him and hope he’ll be back as soon as possible for Derby, who I also with good lick to in their play-off campaign.”
Derby head coach Darren Wassall wasn’t impressed with the challenge.
“It is very unfortunate,” he said.
“George has been in great form and he is important to us.
“If you see the tackle, I think it is a little bit of a naughty tackle, so I am not very pleased with the tackle.
“Until we know the outcome, we cannot really speculate on the injury but the reaction of the other players was not very good. They thought it was a nasty one.”