Ipswich Town midfielder Luke Hyam admits, ‘I’ve not been good enough’
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town midfielder Luke Hyam has issued a damning assessment of his early-season form, but insists he will come good.
The 21-year-old has been an ever-present for Town this term but has failed to live up to the high standards he set last season when he was a star performer in the Blues’ battle against the drop.
With just three points from four Championship games, manager Mick McCarthy is considering changes ahead of his side’s trip to Birmingham tomorrow, but confirmed that Hyam will not be a casualty of any cull.
Therefore, the former Northgate High School pupil should continue his partnership with summer signing Cole Skuse in the Town engine room, and no one will be more determined to stamp his authority on the game than the former academy player.
“I have not been happy with my performances and I am pretty sure there are other players in the side who feel the same (about theirs),” said Hyam.
You may also want to watch:
“If we can all improve our game by five or 10 per cent I am sure we can start winning games.
“I can’t put my finger on it, it’s just one of those things, but once you start winning games and gaining a bit of confidence, you can soon turn it round.”
- 1 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 2 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 3 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 4 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 5 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 6 Town's former Director of Football reunited with McCarthy at Cardiff
- 7 Orwell Bridge: Road block removed as person safely off bridge
- 8 Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- 9 Hawkins leaves Town after just one season as striker makes League Two move
- 10 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
One of the better performers so far this season has been Skuse, a Bosman-free transfer from Bristol City.
The 27-year-old has been in commanding form in Town’s midfield and has earned rave reviews from Hyam.
“Cole has been different class and I don’t think the boys realised how good he was. He has been top quality,” added Hyam.
“When you are training and playing with someone week in, week out, you then realise. His vision and passing have been excellent.”
Tyrone Mings is the only absentee from tomorrow’s squad to face the Blues at St Andrew’s.
There will therefore be no place in the 18 for ex-Town star Alan Lee who signed non-contract terms with the club this week, as McCarthy confirmed yesterday.
“We have signed Alan Lee on non-contract terms and he is available to play,” said the Blues boss.
“He is great around the place, great with the kids and it is a good deal for both parties.
“Alan is different to the strikers we have, they are all different, and he is someone that I could use during the season.”