Ipswich Town must keep Richard Stearman - Luke Chambers
- Credit: Archant
IPSWICH TOWN defender Luke Chambers has questioned Wolves’ decision to let Richard Stearman join fellow Championship strugglers Ipswich Town, and insisted the Blues must do everything they can to keep hold of the 25-year-old.
Stearman has been told he can return to Molineux in the summer to fight for a place in Dean Saunders’ first-team but, with the club committed to signing QPR centre-back Kaspars Gorkks if they remain in the division, the former Leicester defender may choose to seek pastures new.
The likes of young centre-back Danny Batth and emerging right-back Matt Doherty are also impressing the Black Country club’s hierarchy, while boss Dean Saunders may also look to bring in Liverpool defender Jack Robinson for a longer period, casting doubt over the future of Stephen Ward – a regular under Town boss Mick McCarthy, at Molineux.
Stearman has been one of the success stories of Ipswich’s rise up the Championship table, playing a large part in the club’s run of five clean sheets in a row and nine shut-outs in 12. With Chambers urging owner Marcus Evans to back McCarthy in the summer, he has identified Stearman as a target that must be snapped up.
“We should do everything we can to keep Stears, he has been fantastic and I am not sure how Wolves have managed to let him go in their state,” said Chambers.
You may also want to watch:
“We have done very well since he came to the club and we should be looking to keep the back four together because that is the base that we have managed to build our success on really.
“I have known Stears a long time, and I don’t think players like him play at this level for so long for no reason. He is absolutely brilliant and I would not be afraid to tell anyone that.
- 1 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 2 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 3 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 4 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 6 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 7 Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- 8 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 9 Mapped: Number of places recording Covid cases doubles in last week
- 10 Orwell Bridge: Road block removed as person safely off bridge
“I know he has really enjoyed his time here. He likes the lads and likes the way things work here.”