Ipswich Town players globe-trotting as they represent their countries
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Several Ipswich Town players have been in international action over the weekend, representing their countries in World Cup and Euro 2016 Qualifiers, and also Under-21 Championship games.
Blues defender Christophe Berra played the full 90 minutes as Scotland concluded their unsuccessful Euro 2016 qualifying campaign with a 6-0 away win in Gibraltar.
Sunderland striker Steven Fletcher scored a hat-trick, while Shaun Maloney, Steven Naismith and Chris Martin also got on the scoresheet.
Town strikers Daryl Murphy and David McGoldrick were unused substitutes as Republic of Ireland failed to qualify automatically for next year’s tournament in France, losing 2-1 in Poland.
Ex-Blues striker Jonathan Walters had levelled for Martin O’Neill’s side, from the penalty spot, following Grzegorz Krychowiak’s 13th-minute opener, but in-form Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski struck the winner at the Narodowy Stadium to condemn Ireland to a place in the play-offs.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, Kevin Bru’s World Cup dreams are over, his country, Mauritius, losing 5-2 over two legs in the first round against Kenya, the damage being done in the first leg, with the second game, in Nairobi, ending goalless.
Elsewhere, young Ipswich Town defender Josh Yorwerth played for the duration in Wales Under-21s 0-0 draw in Denmark, in a UEFA U21 Championship Qualifying Group 5 game, in Aalborg, on Friday.
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 3 Police identify elderly man after incident involving young girl in village
- 4 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 5 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 6 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 7 Cook on Chambers, Skuse and whether Fleetwood clash could be their final Town game
- 8 Coach Gill leaves Town with Cook wanting to bring in 'fresh faces'
- 9 Suffolk elections 2021: When to expect results
- 10 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
Goalkeeper, Michael Crowe, was an unused sub for Wales.