Town’s promotion chances, Lambert’s future and your return to Portman Road - vote in our pre-season polls
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town finally play their first competitive game since March 7 this weekend – so how are you feeling going into the new season?
The Blues have not kicked a ball in a match that matters since that 1-0 defeat to Coventry City almost six months ago, and host Bristol Rovers in the first round of the Carabao Cup this Saturday.
Paul Lambert’s men have lost three of their five pre-season friendly clashes - blitzing Colchester United 4-0 and 1-0 in their first action, but then falling 3-0 away to Spurs, 4-1 at home to West Ham and 1-0 at Cambridge United on Saturday.
There have been several positives to take from pre-season, notably the form of midfield trio Flynn Downes, Teddy Bishop and Andre Dozzell, plus the return from injury of key players Kane Vincent-Young and Jack Lankester.
But there have been worrying signs too - costly errors in Lambert’s new play out from the back approach, a struggle to score and Saturday’s tepid display against lower league opposition.
After the Bristol clash, Town will host Arsenal’s youngsters in their first EFL Trophy match a week tomorrow, before the real business begins on September 13, live on Sky Sports, as crisis club Wigan visit Portman Road.
So, on the brink of the season, how are you feeling? Let us know by voting in the polls and leaving comments below!
- 1 Village hall treasurer jailed after stealing cash to help his business
- 2 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 3 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 4 When loans go permanent: Town's hits and misses when keeping hired hands full-time
- 5 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 6 'Incredible' Downes tipped 'to play at the very top'
- 7 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 8 Meet the man who has documented the entire history of a Suffolk village
- 9 Hazel O'Connor's Sudbury shows cancelled due to 'serious medical incident'
- 10 Star Suffolk breakfast blogger reveals her favourite food around Ipswich