Ipswich Town running the risk of repeating contract mistakes
IPSWICH Town’s poor start to the season could end up with a repeat of the contract mistakes manager Paul Jewell vowed to avoid.
The Blues saw key duo Gareth McAuley and David Norris – recruited for around �3m between them – leave on Bosman free transfers back in the summer.
Contract negotiations had been left too late, as the club – struggling under former boss Roy Keane – were worried about committing to deals while the threat of relegation remained a possibility.
Norris and McAuley always maintained that they had both wanted to stay at Portman Road, but a failure to tie them down to new deals left the door open for Portsmouth and West Brom to nip in.
New boss Jewell has a whopping 18 players inside the final seven months of their contracts at present including captain Grant Leadbitter, striker Jason Scotland and right-back Carlos Edwards.
You may also want to watch:
All of the above have insisted that they want to remain at the Suffolk club, however, with the Blues hovering precariously above the drop zone following a recent run of seven straight defeats, Jewell is not rushing into any negotiations just yet.
The Town manager hopes that having to earn a new deal – be it at Town or elsewhere – will motivate his players to raise their game over the crucial Christmas period.
- 1 Lorry overturns after crashing into office building - warning over delays
- 2 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
- 3 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 4 Aldi to open 100 new supermarkets with eyes on four towns in Suffolk
- 5 'Outstanding' former Ipswich teachers leave £2million to charities in will
- 6 Town sign 6ft 5ins striker as Nsiala, Jackson and Barry all start for U23s
- 7 Seven spots to visit on the Suffolk Coast this autumn
- 8 Five people injured in 'violent disorder' at Newmarket racecourse
- 9 Two mega prisons for 3,500 inmates set to be built near RAF base
- 10 Louis Theroux documentary on White House Farm murder premieres tonight
Only time will tell if that is a risk worth taking.
Ipswich players in the final seven months of their contracts:
Jason Scotland, Grant Leadbitter, Carlos Edwards, Josh Carson, Richard Wright, Mark Kennedy, Tommy Smith, Shane O’Connor, Ibrahima Sonko, �var Ingimarsson, Lee Bowyer, Josh Carson, Luke Hyam, Tam�s Priskin, Ronan Murray, Cody Cropper and Cormac Burke (all end June 30, some with the option of a further year). Jack Ainsley and Jamie Griffiths (end of this month).