Maddison pips Celina to goal of the month prize
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Norwich City have claimed a minor victory over Ipswich Town heading into Sunday’s East Anglian derby at Carrow Road, with the Canaries’ James Maddison pipping the Blues’ Bersant Celina to January’s Championship goal of the month award.
Public voting for the award remained close right up until Tuesday’s deadline, but Maddison’s strike against Brentford beat Celina’s stunning strike and Steve Morison’s volley for Millwall against Norwich.
Celina’s strike saw him take aim from 30 yards and fired past Leeds keeper Felix Wiedwald to secure three points for the Blues on January 13, before charging to the corner of the North and Cobbold stands to celebrate with supporters.
It was the Manchester City loanee’s Celina’s seventh league goal of the campaign.
“It was a good goal for sure,” Celina said.
“I’m just really happy for the team, for myself, the fans and everyone here.
“It’s definitely among the best professional goals I scored. I’ve scored some good goals but that’s one of the best. I’m glad it proved to be important and it’s great to get the win against a strong team.
- 1 London couple transform Suffolk home into an 'intimate' lifestyle retreat
- 2 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 3 Forbidden Suffolk: 5 more places you can’t visit in Suffolk
- 4 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 5 Two motorbikes stolen after break-in at Suffolk home
- 6 The night Town beat Real Madrid - and why they're still part of elite club
- 7 Driver being taken to hospital after car ends up on roof in field
- 8 Village suffers power cut for 7 hours after vehicle hits electricity pole
- 9 Suffolk woman stole thousands from football club and school
- 10 Former Town striker's front-to-back season could end in Wembley glory
“I’m really enjoying myself here and I’m just happy I can play games, be involved and help the team. Hopefully for the next four months and for all season I can keep playing well.”