Ipswich Town’s Daryl Murphy is the Sky Bet Player of the Month for December
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town manager Mick McCarthy believes the high-flying Blues are reaping the rewards of assistant manager Terry Connor’s work with the Sky Bet Championship’s Player of the Month for December, Daryl Murphy.
It was revealed this morning that 17-goal striker Murphy had picked up the top divisional award, beating off competition from Bolton goalkeeper Andy Lonergan, Bournemouth’s goalscoring midfielder Harry Arter and Norwich City schemer Bradley Johnson.
This season is proving to be the most fruitful of Murphy’s career – the striker having scored just 47 goals in 289 games previously during spells at Celtic, Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday (loan) and Town (three loans).
Much of his transformation can be credited to former Leeds and Swansea striker Connor, who is regularly spoken about in glowing terms by McCarthy and fellow players at Portman Road for his work on the training pitch, especially from an attacking point of view.
“Murph is in a rich vein of form and deserves all the accolades he is getting,” said McCarthy, whose second-placed side face third-top Derby in a crunch Championship clash at Portman Road tomorrow.
“He has worked very hard on the training ground with Terry Connor and we are all reaping the benefits.”
Meanwhile, Town have secured the services of free agent Noel Hunt, after the striker agreed to terminate his deal with Championship rivals Leeds United.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town out of Trophy after shootout loss
- 2 Under-used council land to become sites for 3,000 homes
- 3 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 4 Weather warning issued as Suffolk could see snow fall tomorrow
- 5 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 6 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 7 New animal feed mill planned for Bury St Edmunds
- 8 Flood alerts issued for Suffolk coast ahead of expected high tide
- 9 Plans submitted for Suffolk equestrian centre's new home
- 10 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week
The brother of Town midfielder Stephen, Hunt has signed a deal until June and will wear the number 16 shirt.
Hunt, who was on-loan at Portman Road before his return to Elland Road, scored the late winner on his Town debut, in the 1-0 victory at Charlton, in November.
Elsewhere, goalkeeper Dean Gerken has signed a new, two-year deal – with the option of a third – at the club.
The former Colchester and Bristol City stopper has played 57 times for the Blues since signing on a free transfer in the summer of 2013.