Ipswich Town’s Daryl Murphy: We were denied a ‘stonewall penalty’ in Barnsley draw
- Credit: Ashley Pickering
Daryl Murphy believes fellow striker Frank Nouble should have had a penalty at the death of Friday’s below par draw with Barnsley.
In truth, Town were lucky to come away with a point in one of their worst performances of the season but could have nicked all three at the end had referee Andy D’Urso awarded a penalty kick after Frank Nouble went down in the box under the challenge of Jean Yves Mvoto.
As Nouble controlled Aaron Cresswell’s pinpoint pass in the dying moments, he attempted to get out of the clutches from Mvoto but as he turned he tumbled under the giant defender, who appeared to drag the Town striker down.
“It’s a definite penalty,” said a convinced Murphy.
“The defender Mvoto was at it all game, I told the referee about it and he’s blatantly pulling Frank down – it’s a stonewall penalty.”
Town also had Cresswell sent off for foul and abusive language in the tunnel after the final whistle.
Despite feeling his side should have taken all three points had a penalty been given, Murphy was also openly honest about Town being lucky to escape Friday’s fixture with one point, let alone three.
- 1 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 2 New cafe toasts successful first week
- 3 Patrols 'throughout the night' following dispersal order in Suffolk town
- 4 Young driver crashes car just a week after passing
- 5 New state-of-the-art army attack helicopters undergo testing in Suffolk
- 6 Harper and El Mizouni made available for loan
- 7 Police warning after Suffolk driver speeds at 126mph
- 8 Police called to anti-vaccine demonstration at Suffolk pharmacy
- 9 Bakinson's the 'mini Pogba' who has been a big hit on loan before and will now look to prove the doubters wrong
- 10 'Two suspicious individuals' spotted on primary school roof
He said: “I thought going a goal up just before half-time, we’d done quite well.
“We knew they’d come out in the second half and come at us and to be fair they did that - they pinned us back and made it hard for us to play and I think they were the better team in the second half.”