Ipswich Town’s Daryl Murphy: We were denied a ‘stonewall penalty’ in Barnsley draw
- Credit: Ashley Pickering
Daryl Murphy believes fellow striker Frank Nouble should have had a penalty at the death of Friday’s below par draw with Barnsley.
In truth, Town were lucky to come away with a point in one of their worst performances of the season but could have nicked all three at the end had referee Andy D’Urso awarded a penalty kick after Frank Nouble went down in the box under the challenge of Jean Yves Mvoto.
As Nouble controlled Aaron Cresswell’s pinpoint pass in the dying moments, he attempted to get out of the clutches from Mvoto but as he turned he tumbled under the giant defender, who appeared to drag the Town striker down.
“It’s a definite penalty,” said a convinced Murphy.
“The defender Mvoto was at it all game, I told the referee about it and he’s blatantly pulling Frank down – it’s a stonewall penalty.”
You may also want to watch:
Town also had Cresswell sent off for foul and abusive language in the tunnel after the final whistle.
Despite feeling his side should have taken all three points had a penalty been given, Murphy was also openly honest about Town being lucky to escape Friday’s fixture with one point, let alone three.
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe park
- 3 Former Ipswich Town boss Keane as you've never seen him before
- 4 Busy high street taped off by police
- 5 Jack Whitehall praises award-winning Suffolk gastropub after visit
- 6 Coronavirus 'growth rate' rises further in East Anglia
- 7 'Too many men can cause a problem' - Ashton says quality, not quantity, is key in Town's squad rebuild
- 8 A14 and A12 set for major upgrade work
- 9 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 10 Glass found in popular paddling pool forcing it to close
He said: “I thought going a goal up just before half-time, we’d done quite well.
“We knew they’d come out in the second half and come at us and to be fair they did that - they pinned us back and made it hard for us to play and I think they were the better team in the second half.”