Downes plays 90 minutes in big England win
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Ipswich Town midfielder Flynn Downes played the full 90 minutes as England’s Under 19s demolished the Faroe Islands 6-0 in their European Championship qualifier in Bulgaria yesterday.
Downes started in midfield as he won his second cap at under 19 level, in a game where Arsenal’s Eddie Nketiah was the start of the show as he netted four times in the comprehensive victory.
Elliot Embleton of Sunderland and Nottingham Forest’s Ben Brereton scored the other two goals, as the Young Lions got their qualifying campaign off to a perfect start.
They are defending the title they won in Georgia in the summer, a victory in which Ipswich midfielder Andre Dozzell played a part, with two more matches to come on their visit to Bulgaria.
England take on Iceland on Saturday before playing the hosts on Tuesday, in games both played at Trace Arena in Stara Zagora.
You may also want to watch:
Downes and his team-mates will be looking to finish top of their group to secure a spot in elite qualifying, where they will bid to secure a place in next year’s finals in Finland.
- 1 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 2 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 3 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 4 Woman dies after car collides with tree in Leiston
- 5 Here's what Bristol City boss Pearson said about CEO Ashton being linked to Town
- 6 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 7 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 8 Woman found dead in country park is named
- 9 The first five jobs for Ipswich Town's new owners
- 10 Paul Cook speaks about Ipswich Town takeover for first time