Ipswich Town’s greatest games: Blues lift the UEFA Cup in 1981
- Credit: Archant
In our latest weekly look back at Ipswich Town’s greatest-ever games, we take you back to 1981 and a famous UEFA Cup victory!
UEFA Cup Final 1981.
Ipswich Town 5 AZ Alkmaar 4 (on aggregate).
After an epic 1980-81 campaign, the UEFA Cup was Ipswich Town’s last chance to win a trophy.
In the first leg at Portman Road, Town looked to have settled matters. John Wark, inevitably, put the home side ahead from the penalty spot after half an hour, and a rare Frans Thijssen header doubled the lead just after half-time.
You may also want to watch:
A third goal, a deft touch from Paul Mariner, seemed to have put things beyond doubt. Town couldn’t lose it now, surely?
The second leg in Alkmaar turned into a goalfest. Thijssen scored again after only four minutes, but the Dutch side quickly levelled on the night and then scored again after 25 minutes. The prolific Wark netted again, but before half-time AZ had a third goal.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 4 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 5 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 6 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 7 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 8 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies
- 9 Pub boss struggling to recruit ahead of lockdown lifting
- 10 Couple transform historic building near coast into new bed and breakfast
When the Dutch team scored again with 17 minutes left, it was backs to the wall time for the Town team, but they held out to grab the piece of silverware which their fantastic campaign had deserved.