Ipswich Town set to open campaign with their biggest away following in almost a decade
Ipswich Town are set for their biggest away following for a league match in almost a decade when they open their campaign at Reading on Saturday.
A strong finish to last season under Mick McCarthy’s management followed by the arrival of 10 signings this summer has generated a wave of optimism heading into the new campaign.
Blues fans quickly snapped up their original allocation of 1,700 tickets for Saturday’s game at the Madejski Stadium, with an extended allocation of 500 also soon
The Royals – relegated from the Premier League last season – aren’t expecting a full house at their 24,000 capacity home. As a result, they have agreed to move a number of home fans to accommodate the continued demand from Ipswich.
You may also want to watch:
A further 500 tickets in block R30 of the South Stand – immediately next to the area that Town had originally sold out – will be put up for sale at 2pm today on a first-come, first-served basis.
Should they be sold out, the travelling support will number 2,700. That figure will eclipse the 2,572 who travelled to Newcastle in 2010, becoming Town’s largest away following in the league since 4,310 attended a 1-1 draw at Reading in January 2005.
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 3 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 4 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 6 Young footballer locked up for 12 years after 'vicious' machete attack
- 7 Hawkins leaves Town after just one season as striker makes League Two move
- 8 Off-duty PC caught speeding on A14
- 9 Town's former Director of Football reunited with McCarthy at Cardiff
- 10 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
The extra tickets will be available to purchase from Reading’s ticket office from 2pm today and the number to call is 0844 249 1871. Once you are connected, you will need to select option one to purchase tickets in the visiting end.
Tickets are as follows: Adult £27; Over-65 £19; 17-21 £19; Under 16 £11.
There are also a small number of family area tickets still available at Planet Blue, should anybody wish to purchase these in person, and will remain available until 3pm today.