Ipswich Town sign striker Martyn Waghorn from Rangers
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Ipswich Town have announced the signing of striker Martyn Waghorn from Rangers.
Waghorn has signed a two-year deal with the Blues, with the option of adding a third. The fee is undisclosed, but is thought to be in the region of £1m.
He will wear the number 9 shirt for Ipswich and could make his debut at Luton in the Carabao Cup tomorrow.
Born in South Shields, Waghorn made a handful of Premier League appearances for Sunderland before moving to Leicester for £3m in 2010.
He spent the 2014/15 campaign at Wigan before joining Rangers where he has scored 44 goals across all competitions over the last two years.
You may also want to watch:
The 5ft 10in tall left-footer can play as a winger or a forward and was capped at England Under-21 level. He was entering the final year of his deal at Ibrox, with new boss Pedro Caixinha looking to sell in order to buy.
Town have already signed one striker from Rangers this summer in the form of Joe Garner for a fee of £750k that could rise to £1m. The duo only started four games together last season.
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 3 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 4 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 5 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 6 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 7 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 8 Match Ratings: How Town players performed against Wednesday
- 9 Ipswich Town 1 Sheffield Wednesday 1: Late Chaplin goal grabs Town a point
- 10 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
McCarthy is after extra competition both up front (Garner, David McGoldrick and Freddie Sears) and in wide areas (Bersant Celina, Grant Ward and Danny Rowe).
What do you think? Is Waghorn a good signing?