Ipswich Town sign striker Martyn Waghorn from Rangers
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Ipswich Town have announced the signing of striker Martyn Waghorn from Rangers.
Waghorn has signed a two-year deal with the Blues, with the option of adding a third. The fee is undisclosed, but is thought to be in the region of £1m.
He will wear the number 9 shirt for Ipswich and could make his debut at Luton in the Carabao Cup tomorrow.
Born in South Shields, Waghorn made a handful of Premier League appearances for Sunderland before moving to Leicester for £3m in 2010.
He spent the 2014/15 campaign at Wigan before joining Rangers where he has scored 44 goals across all competitions over the last two years.
The 5ft 10in tall left-footer can play as a winger or a forward and was capped at England Under-21 level. He was entering the final year of his deal at Ibrox, with new boss Pedro Caixinha looking to sell in order to buy.
Town have already signed one striker from Rangers this summer in the form of Joe Garner for a fee of £750k that could rise to £1m. The duo only started four games together last season.
- 1 Man caught massaging woman's leg by husband viewing home CCTV
- 2 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 3 Evicted Suffolk family of dying child given early Christmas presents
- 4 Suffolk beauty spots ranked among best in UK
- 5 Is this the cheapest house for sale in Suffolk?
- 6 Automatics out-of-reach and making the play-offs a real battle? The size of the task now facing Ipswich
- 7 'You can't kid supporters... we have to give them a lift' - Cook previews Crewe clash
- 8 Willow Tree Farm Shop & Cafe: 'A lovely blend of upmarket and informal'
- 9 Action taken to target second home owners exploiting tax loophole
- 10 JCB skip loader worth £5,500 stolen from Suffolk village
McCarthy is after extra competition both up front (Garner, David McGoldrick and Freddie Sears) and in wide areas (Bersant Celina, Grant Ward and Danny Rowe).
What do you think? Is Waghorn a good signing?