Ipswich Town sign Tom Lawrence on loan from Leicester City
- Credit: PA
Ipswich Town have signed versatile attacking midfielder Tom Lawrence on a season-long loan from Premier League champions Leicester City.
The 22-year-old – who has been capped four times by Wales – primarily plays on the left, but can also operate as a forward.
Born in Wrexham, he joined Manchester United at the age of eight and, after loan spells in League One with Carlisle and Yeovil, was handed his Premier League debut by caretaker boss Ryan Giggs in a 3-1 win against Hull in May 2014.
He joined Leicester in a reported £1m deal, on a four-year contract, that summer as the East Midlands club prepared for their first season back in the top flight and subsequently made three substitute appearances for the Foxes in the Premier League, while also going out on loan to Rotherham.
He spent the first half of last season on loan at Blackburn and the second half on loan at Cardiff.
There were reportedly a host of clubs interested in taking Lawrence this summer, including Premier League duo Hull and Swansea, as well as several in the second-tier, but it is Town who have sealed the deal.
Lawrence put pen to paper at Portman Road this afternoon before heading off to join up with Chris Coleman’s squad for their 2018 World Cup qualifier against Moldova.
- 1 'Emotions are high' - McGreal on ugly scenes following Charlton loss
- 2 Suffolk bin collection changes this Christmas: All you need to know
- 3 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Town's 2-0 loss at Charlton
- 5 Ex-Celtic boss Lennon linked with Town job
- 6 Fallen trees block Suffolk roads as Storm Barra batters region
- 7 A14 closed in both directions near Ipswich after four-vehicle crash
- 8 Body of man found in Saxmundham
- 9 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
- 10 Three suspected cases of Omicron at Bury St Edmunds schools
He played for his country in their 2016 European Championship qualifiers but missed out on the finals in France through injury.
The attacking midfielder becomes the Blues’ seventh summer signing following the arrivals of Paul Digby (free, Barnsley), Adam Webster (£700k, Portsmouth), Grant Ward (£600k, Tottenham), Conor Grant (loan, Everton), Luke Varney and Leon Best (both free agents).
The EADT and Ipswich Star understands there could still be two more signings before the transfer window shuts at 11pm tomorrow night.
Striker Daryl Murphy has been the sole key departure from Portman Road since the end of last season, the Irishman joining Newcastle in a £3m deal on Sunday.