Ipswich Town signing Joe Garner won’t be giving defenders easy ride, says Mick McCarthy
- Credit: Archant
Mick McCarthy has predicted Championship defenders will face a rough ride when they come up against new Ipswich Town signing, Joe Garner.
The former Preston North End man joined the Blues from Glasgow Rangers recently, having scored 10 goals in 34 games for the Old Firm Giants last season.
Garner has never been prolific in the Championship, he only scored six goals in the second-tier in 2015-16, but will be expected to add potency that has been badly missed since the departure of Republic of Ireland striker Daryl Murphy to Newcastle, almost a year ago.
It is not just goals that Garner will be expected to bring though, the forward’s aggression in the final third being a major attraction to the Blues’ boss.
“That is one of the reasons we brought him in,” said McCarthy, who missed out on signing Rotherham hitman Danny Ward, who elected to join Town’s Championship rivals, Cardiff City.
“I played centre-half for a long time and I didn’t mind playing against players that liked a scrap.
“Players like Joe are the ones that, every time you turn out, you know what you are going to get – it’s going to be a physical encounter.
- 1 Historic former pub with permission to convert into homes set for auction
- 2 Cyclist airlifted to hospital with serious injuries following incident
- 3 Gang who stole from Suffolk museum jailed for total of 74 years
- 4 GALLERY: 'Stunning' turnout as Hadleigh Show returns after enforced break
- 5 Severe delays on major Suffolk route after crash
- 6 See inside this 'chocolate box' cottage up for sale for £435,000
- 7 Double drink driver who killed Jennifer, 32, jailed six years and eight months
- 8 Mike Bacon: Luke Woolfenden.... going nowhere, going everywhere
- 9 Two Suffolk salons reach UK's top hair awards
- 10 Ipswich Town installed as early League One title favourites
“You are not going to be left alone.
“He’s going to be running into the channels, fighting you, Joe’s got that in abundance.
“He has got goals in him and I am delighted we have got him.”
Garner, who began his career at Blackburn Rovers, has also played in the Championship for Nottingham Forest and Watford and McCarthy is keen to link up with the 29-year-old.
“Joe is a proven Championship player, he is a real handful,” the Blues boss added.
“I have always watched what he has done, he went to Rangers, which I thought was a good move for him, even with my Celtic connections, but it didn’t work out.
“They have had the problems there so maybe that, and they have changed managers again, so I am pleased we have got him at the club.
“He will be a real threat for us.”
Meanwhile, Southwold Town will be hosting the Blues’ under-18s on Friday July 7 at the Pavilion (kick-off 6:30pm).
The bar will be open and a barbecue will be available on the evening.