New signings Norwood and Holy on the plane as Blues fly out to Germany
- Credit: Archant
The Ipswich Town squad have departed for Germany to begin their pre-season tour.
The Blues will spend the next 12 days on the continent, taking on Paderborn in Delbruck before participating in the Interwetten Cup in Meppen the following weekend.
Paul Lambert's side flew into Dortmund this afternoon and will be based near Meppen for the duration of the trip, with the tournament at the Hansch Arena seeing them face Fortuna Dusseldorf and then either FC Utrecht or the hosts in 45-minute games.
James Norwood was pictured for the first time after joining up with the squad for training yesterday, following his arrival from Tranmere earlier in the summer.
Along with stalwarts Luke Chambers and Cole Skuse, also pictured was striker Freddie Sears, who is continuing his recovery from a cruciate knee ligament injury.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking about the importance of his side's trip, Lambert said: "It will be next week when we go to Germany that pre-season will really kick in I think.
"The time out there will be huge for us. The players will be living in each other's pockets. You have to respect each other.
- 1 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 2 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 3 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 4 Judge heading to Ipswich exit as contract clause could end Irishman's Portman Road stay
- 5 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 6 All 24 League One home kits ranked from worst to first
- 7 Next steps outlined for decision on A12 traffic light plans
- 8 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 9 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
- 10 'They have big dreams... we're in great hands' - Town favourite Yallop on his links to new US owners
"They will be working hard and they have to try and do everything we ask of them to prepare for that first game in August.
"We are facing some good teams out in Germany. That helps with the preparation but it's about the whole trip and working together out there."
Ipswich Town pre-season programme
Paderborn (a) Saturday, July 6 (3pm)
Interwetten Cup (Meppen) - July 14
Colchester United (a) - July 19 (7.30pm)
Notts County (a) - July 23 (7pm)
Cambridge United (a) - July 27 (1pm)
Coggeshall (a) - Saturday, 13 July (3pm)
Sudbury (a) - Saturday, 20 July (2pm)
Lowestoft (a) - Wednesday, 24 July (7.30pm)
Brighton (h) (Playford Road) - Tuesday, 9 July (2pm)
Reading (a) - Saturday, 13 July (12pm)
Leiston (a) - Saturday, 20 July (3pm)
Felixstowe & Walton United (a) - Tuesday, 23 July (7.45pm)
Tottenham (a) - Saturday, 27 July (11am)