Ipswich Town striker Daryl Murphy named in provisional Republic of Ireland squad
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Striker Daryl Murphy has been named in Martin O’Neill’s provisional 40-man squad for the Republic of Ireland’s two March friendlies.
Ireland will host Switzerland and Slovakia in Dublin on March 25 and March 29, the Republic’s first games since they qualified for this summer’s European Championships in France by beating Bosnia-Herzegovina in a November play-off.
Included for the first time are Wolves defender Matt Doherty, Aberdeen midfielder Jonathan Hayes and Peterborough’s Chris Forrester - all of whom have represented Ireland at under-age level.
The squad, which also includes uncapped Brentford midfielder Alan Judge and America-based strikers Robbie Keane and Kevin Doyle, will be shortened ahead of assembling on March 20.
“The countdown to Euro 2016 starts now for us and we look forward to welcoming both Switzerland and Slovakia to the Aviva Stadium for what will be two very important games for us,” manager O’Neill said at a press conference to announce the squad.
You may also want to watch:
“Both myself and my staff have been incredibly busy since qualification last November scouting and monitoring as many players as possible.
“I know that I will have a very tough decision to name a final squad for Euro 2016 and that is why I want to give players a chance to impress.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 3 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 4 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 5 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 6 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 7 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 8 Mum-of-three who devoted her life to hospice shop dies of heart attack
- 9 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
- 10 'I've just been completely average' - Town star Woolfenden on his season and Town's struggles
“For these two games, I would like to encourage Ireland supporters to come out in numbers to support the team as passionately as they did during our qualifying campaign.
“When we come together it creates a fantastic atmosphere at the Aviva Stadium and the players really feed off that.”
Squad: Randolph (West Ham), Forde (Millwall), Westwood (Sheff Wed), Elliot (Newcastle), Christie (Derby), Coleman (Everton), Keogh (Derby), O’Shea, (Sunderland), Pearce (Bristol City, on loan), Duffy (Blackburn), Clark (Aston Villa), McShane (Reading), Ward (Burnley), Cunningham (Preston), Doherty (Wolves), Brady (Norwich), McCarthy (Everton), Hendrick (Derby), Gibson (Everton), Arter (Bournemouth), O’Kane (Bournemouth), Whelan (Stoke), Green (Rotherham), Gleeson (Birmingham), Meyler (Hull), Quinn (Reading), McGeady (Sheff Wed, on loan), McClean (West Brom), Judge (Brentford), Hayes (Aberdeen), Forrester (Peterborough), Pilkington (Cardiff), Walters (Stoke), Hoolahan (Norwich), Keane (LA Galaxy), Long (Southampton), Murphy (Ipswich), Doyle (Colorado Rapids), Stokes (Celtic), Cox (Reading).