Ipswich Town to hold open trials for academy next month
- Credit: Ashley Pickering
Ipswich Town will be hosting open trials throughout Suffolk next month to find players for the bottom tier of their newly-branded academy system.
The Blues’ academy has three tiers – Academy, Elite and the Player Development Programme – with the latter replacing the Player Development Centres and providing the first step on a road which could eventually lead to the Town first team.
The boys who are successful at August’s trials will be invited onto the PDP, where they will be assessed during one-hour coaching sessions over 15 weeks.
Teddy Bishop, Ben Morris, Joe Robinson and George Fowler all progressed on from the previous PDC scheme.
“The coaching the boys will receive on the PDP is in line with the programme at the academy,” said Steve McGavin, the head of recruitment at Playford Road.
“It will be about the boys enjoying their football but also realising their potential. We are constantly on the lookout for talented young players and our PDP provides that first level on the academy ladder.”
The PDP course will cost £7 per session, while elite squad coaching is by invitation only and free.
- 1 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 2 New landlord hopes to make Suffolk pub 'centre' of village community
- 3 Plans for two drive-through takeaways in Suffolk town
- 4 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 5 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 6 The former Ipswich players looking for new clubs this summer
- 7 New landlords take over award-winning pub and brewery in Suffolk village
- 8 Man caught in undercover police sting trying to meet '13-year-old girl'
- 9 Cobwebs spotted covering entire trees across Suffolk
- 10 Woman in hospital with life-threatening injuries after serious A143 crash
There are 11 PDP centres at nine venues, three new to Town – Sudbury, Chelmsford and Newmarket – in addition to Ipswich, Walsham le Willows, Lowestoft, Tiptree, Cambridge and Bury St Edmunds.
There are two 15-week coaching sessions per season – August to December and January to May.
The open trials are free and start from August 1, but places must be booked through Richard Boreham via firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (01473) 400506.
Full details of the trial dates, venues and the PDP programme can be found on the new PDP website. Only 12 places are available per venue for each age group.