Ipswich Town to hold open trials for academy next month
- Credit: Ashley Pickering
Ipswich Town will be hosting open trials throughout Suffolk next month to find players for the bottom tier of their newly-branded academy system.
The Blues’ academy has three tiers – Academy, Elite and the Player Development Programme – with the latter replacing the Player Development Centres and providing the first step on a road which could eventually lead to the Town first team.
The boys who are successful at August’s trials will be invited onto the PDP, where they will be assessed during one-hour coaching sessions over 15 weeks.
Teddy Bishop, Ben Morris, Joe Robinson and George Fowler all progressed on from the previous PDC scheme.
“The coaching the boys will receive on the PDP is in line with the programme at the academy,” said Steve McGavin, the head of recruitment at Playford Road.
You may also want to watch:
“It will be about the boys enjoying their football but also realising their potential. We are constantly on the lookout for talented young players and our PDP provides that first level on the academy ladder.”
The PDP course will cost £7 per session, while elite squad coaching is by invitation only and free.
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 3 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 4 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 5 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 6 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 7 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 8 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
- 9 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 10 Driver who killed 'dearly loved' man, 29, in crash is jailed
There are 11 PDP centres at nine venues, three new to Town – Sudbury, Chelmsford and Newmarket – in addition to Ipswich, Walsham le Willows, Lowestoft, Tiptree, Cambridge and Bury St Edmunds.
There are two 15-week coaching sessions per season – August to December and January to May.
The open trials are free and start from August 1, but places must be booked through Richard Boreham via firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (01473) 400506.
Full details of the trial dates, venues and the PDP programme can be found on the new PDP website. Only 12 places are available per venue for each age group.