Ipswich Town to host Sheffield United in FA Cup third round
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Ipswich Town have been drawn at home against Championship rivals Sheffield United in the FA Cup third round.
The Blues – winners of the world famous competition in 1978 – were the first name out of the hat in this evening’s draw, with the tie almost certainly set to be played on January 6 just four days after a league game at Fulham.
Having won the League One title in style last season, Sheffield United are currently fourth in the Championship table. Chris Wilder’s side beat Town 1-0 at Bramall Lane on October 14 courtesy of Chris Basham’s goal.
Mick McCarthy, who has made sweeping changes to his starting XIs for knockout football, is yet to oversee an FA Cup win as Blues boss in nine attempts. There have been replay defeats to Lincoln (National League), Portsmouth (League Two), Southampton (Premier League) and Preston (League One), as well as a loss at Aston Villa (Premier League), in recent years.
Town’s misery in the competition goes back further than that. They haven’t made it past the first hurdle since a 2-1 victory at Blackpool back in 2010.
IPSWICH TOWN’s LAST 10 YEARS IN THE FA CUP
2017 3rd Round Lincoln (National League) D 2-2 (h), L 1-0 (a)
- 1 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 2 Suffolk woman stole thousands from football club and school
- 3 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 4 London couple transform Suffolk home into an 'intimate' lifestyle retreat
- 5 Two motorbikes stolen after break-in at Suffolk home
- 6 Forbidden Suffolk: 5 more places you can’t visit in Suffolk
- 7 Former Town striker's front-to-back season could end in Wembley glory
- 8 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 9 Inquest opened into human remains found by Suffolk river
- 10 Woman in hospital with life-threatening injuries after serious A143 crash
2016 3rd Round Portsmouth (League Two) D 2-2 (h), L 2-1 (a)
2015 3rd Round Southampton (Premier League) D 1-1 (a), L 1-0 (h)
2014 3rd Round Preston (League One) D 1-1 (h), L 3-2 (a)
2013 3rd Round Aston Villa (Premier League) L 2-1 (a)
2012 3rd Round Hull (Championship) L 3-1 (a)
2011 3rd Round Chelsea (Premier League) L 7-0 (a)
2010 4th Round Southampton (League One) L 2-1 (a)
2009 4th Round Chelsea (Premier League) L 3-1 (a)
2008 3rd Round Portsmouth (Premier League) L 1-0 (h)