Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Fans say Newcastle’s Daryl Murphy isn’t the answer for Ipswich Town
- Credit: PA
Ipswich Town need to make signing a striker their top summer priority – but fans say bringing Daryl Murphy back isn’t the answer.
Since leaving the Blues for Newcastle United in a £3m move last August, Town have struggled to replace the talismanic hitman and netted just 48 times in the second-tier this term.
Murphy (34) scored six times in nine league starts for the title-winning Magpies, as they succesfully navigated their way back to the Premier League, but has been told he is not part of Rafa Benitez’s plans at St James’ Park for the top flight next season.
The Republic of Ireland frontman scored 27 goals in his stand-out season for Town, during the play-off season of 2014-15, before scoring 10 league goals the following campaign as the Blues limped into seventh place.
Town have clearly missed the striker’s presence in attack, his aerial prowess and his ability to bring other players into the game, but on a vastly-improved contract to the one he was on at Portman Road and, entering the twilight of his career, has that particular ship sailed?
The Town fans voting on our websites clearly think so, with 68% of almost 1,000 responders voting against the idea of the Waterford-born frontman returning to Suffolk.
A more popular option for Town fans would likely be Preston’s Jordan Hugill, who scored for the Lilywhites in the teams’ 1-1 draw at Deepdale this season.
- 1 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 2 Suffolk woman stole thousands from football club and school
- 3 Woman in hospital with life-threatening injuries after serious A143 crash
- 4 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 5 Plans for two drive-through takeaways in Suffolk town
- 6 Town boss McKenna adds ex-Manchester United player to coaching staff
- 7 Revealed: The top serious road crash hotspots in Suffolk
- 8 New landlord hopes to make Suffolk pub 'centre' of village community
- 9 Huge barn conversion with amazing field views goes up for rent
- 10 The former Ipswich players looking for new clubs this summer
Manager Mick McCarthy has made no secret of his admiration for the 24-years and the Blues are thought to have had two seven-figure bids turned down for the big striker.
“He’s a real competitor, he works hard, he’s quick, he never gives centre-halves a minute’s peace – we’ll be seeing that on Saturday no doubt,” McCarthy said in January. “He’s somebody who has come into professional football a little bit later and he’s only going to get better. He’d be one I’d like. I won’t say anymore about that. I like him, he’s a good player.”
Rotherham’s Danny Ward is another player to have been linked. The Millers have taken up their option to give Ward another year, but the 25-year-old is till expected to move on.
Meanwhile, Town will travel to Peterborough United for a pre-season friendly on July 18. The fixture at the ABAX Stadium to be split into two games of 60 minutes, with the first game kicking off at 7pm and the second starting at 8.30pm.