Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Town linked to Dominic Samuel as deadline nears
- Credit: PA
The race to sign a striker at Ipswich Town appears set to go right down to the wire tonight.
Town are said to be chasing a long-needed replacement for Daryl Murphy, who departed for Newcastle for £3 million back in August.
The latest name to be linked with the Blues is Reading’s Dominic Samuel, the 22-year-old interesting a number of clubs as the deadline looms.
It is thought that Brentford and Barnsley are leading the chase for Samuels, who would likely be a loan move.
Reading boss Jaap Stam said: “I think several teams are interested in Dom but we need to make a decision about that. Because if you let somebody go you need to have somebody in as well.
You may also want to watch:
“We know Dominic’s quality, he’s got ability which can help us out. But he is still a young player and needs to learn a lot, and for him it’s very good if he can play week in, week out to develop.”
Town have also been linked with Rotherham’s Danny Ward, Barnsley’s Marley Watkins and Preston’s Jordan Hugill, with the latter netting against them on Saturday - and, as Mick McCarthy joked, duly boosting his value!
Grimsby’s Omar Bogle and Southampton winger Lloyd Isgrove have also been mentioned.
One player who could well be departing is captain Luke Chambers, linked to a surprise move back to former club Nottingham Forest.
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 Can Town kick on now? Predictions for the next five league games
- 3 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 4 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 5 Jail for man who threatened to 'do a Raoul Moat' and kill police
- 6 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 7 'We have formed a successful partnership' - Morsy on his Evans reunion
- 8 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 9 Suffolk shops struggling to secure fresh meat as CO2 concerns deepen
- 10 Things to do in Suffolk this weekend with friends and family
All seems quiet, however, on the possible moves of Leon Best and Jonathan Douglas, the latter linked to League One cellar-dwellers Coventry City.
The transfer window closes at 11pm tonight.