Brown on the spot as Town U23s draw at Swansea
- Credit: Archant
Young striker Zak Brown was on target as Ipswich Town's U23 side drew 1-1 at Swansea City this afternoon.
Kieron Dyer's young Blues, who included fringe first teamers Armando Dobra and Elkan Baggott in the starting XI, had the chance to take the lead in the first half as Kai Brown was tripped for a penalty.
He dusted himself off to step up and take the spot kick, but it was saved.
The home side then took the lead after 21 minutes, as Ali Al-Hamadi latched on to a fine diagonal through ball to sweep home.
Swansea were then denied by the woodwork twice early in the second half.
First, Al-Hamadi rattled the crossbar following a fine individual run, before Daniel Williams' fierce long-range strike clipped the outside of the post.
But Town levelled just after the hour mark when Jake Thomas was penalised for bringing down Zak Brown, who picked himself up to send home stopper Josh Gould the wrong way.
- 1 Lorry driver hailed as hero after truck crushed in port accident
- 2 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 3 A12 closed following serious collision
- 4 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 5 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab
- 6 Cage fighter Alex Reid jailed after OUR story exposes lie in insurance claim
- 7 Woman in critical condition and man arrested after serious A12 crash
- 8 Missing dad wanted in connection with assault which happened day before he disappeared
- 9 Air ambulance called to medical emergency
- 10 Plans to create 'Suffolk Silicon Fen' killed by market forces
The young Blues finished the game with 10 men after second-half substitute Cameron Humphreys was shown a second yellow card in the dying stages.
Town starting XI: White, Crowe, Baggott, Clements (Humphreys 51'), Crane, Alexander, Page, Dobra, K Brown (Oppong 51'), Siziba, Z Brown.