Ipswich Town Under-23s beat Coggeshall Town in pre-season friendly
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town’s Under-23s came from a goal down to defeat a physical Coggeshall Town side 2-1 in a pre-season friendly at West Street yesterday.
The Blues – who had lost 3-1 AFC Sudbury in midweek – dominated the game from the start, with New Zealand international Monty Patterson causing the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division hosts many problems.
Gerard Nash’s side came close to opening the scoring when Patterson danced past various defenders before eventually hitting an audacious chip just past the far post.
It was Coggeshall who broke the deadlock against the run of play though when, just after the half hour mark, impressive full-back Josce Syrett bundled the ball beyond keeper Nicholas Hayes after an over-hit corner was headed back into the six yard box.
Ipswich deservedly drew level when man-of-the-match Jack Lankester chipped a shot over the home side’s keeper.
Surprisingly, Nash made no changes at half-time with the pace of the game not changing either as Patterson once again created some space for himself and hit a powerful shot into the legs of a defending Coggeshall player.
Not long afterwards, Patterson found himself involved in another chance as he slipped a perfectly-timed through ball to Lankester. The latter hit the post after rounding the keeper, but the offside flag was raised.
- 1 London couple transform Suffolk home into an 'intimate' lifestyle retreat
- 2 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 3 Forbidden Suffolk: 5 more places you can’t visit in Suffolk
- 4 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 5 Two motorbikes stolen after break-in at Suffolk home
- 6 The night Town beat Real Madrid - and why they're still part of elite club
- 7 Driver being taken to hospital after car ends up on roof in field
- 8 Village suffers power cut for 7 hours after vehicle hits electricity pole
- 9 When will bins be emptied during the Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend?
- 10 Former Town striker's front-to-back season could end in Wembley glory
Nash finally decided to fully rotate the outfield team in the 57th minute which allowed the few Ipswich fans present to see some of the new first year scholars.
Soon after the changes, Ben Folami found himself on the scoresheet as he tucked away an Albert Wilton cross to put the away side in front and ultimately win the game for the boys in blue.
Town’s exciting, possession-based football hopefully reflects the kind of football the U23s will be playing next season.
TOWN: Hayes, Ronan (Henry 62), Clements (Barley 62), McDonnell (McGavin 62), C Smith (Marshall 62), Ndaba (Vega 62), McKendry (Wilton 62), McLoughlin (D Crowe 62), Morris (Folami 62), Lankester (Dobra 62 (Hughes 73)), Patterson (Foudil 62 (Dobra 82)). Unused: Wright.