Matchday Recap: Town fall to defeat in Trophy opener
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town were beaten 2-1 by Arsenal’s Under 21s this evening.
Paul Lambert’s men will be hoping for a repeat performance after beginning their season with a 3-0 victory over Bristol Rovers in the Carabao Cup on Saturday.
Arsenal’s Under 21s visit this evening for the two sides’ opening Group J clash, with the four-team pool also including Crawley and Gillingham.
Ipswich were knocked out in the third round by Exeter last season, with the Blues looking to better that this time around in a competition which brings a Wembley final.
“I think I said last year that I like the competition, I think it’s great for those boys to get opportunities” coach Matt Gill said.
“Probably Idris El Mizouni got a loan off the back of it [at Cambridge United], which is all you can ask for with that youth development head on. Ultimately we want them to be play first-team football to help us, whenever that may be.
“It’s a positive competition as far as that’s concerned and I’m sure people will get an opportunity this year.”
- 1 World War Two-themed holiday accommodation plans at former airfield
- 2 Matchday Live: Chaplin wins it as Town claim three points
- 3 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 4 Police called to anti-vaccine demonstration at Suffolk pharmacy
- 5 McKenna hoping Portman Road routine changes can help 'find an edge'
- 6 New cafe toasts successful first week
- 7 9 forgotten pubs that were at the heart of their Suffolk towns
- 8 Police arrest driver after single car crash
- 9 Long delays on A12 after overturned tractor trailer
- 10 Let's get physical, 'spanner in the works' and selection headaches
Kick-off’s at 7.45pm.