Ipswich Town v Birmingham City – is Emyr Huws a good bet for first goalscorer today?
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town host Birmingham City in a Championship match this afternoon (3pm ko). Here’s the lowdown on the opposition, referee and betting.
Birmingham City boss Gianfranco Zola says today’s game could be decided by who is more fitter and focused.
“It will be tough for them as well, they are in the same position, we cannot make mistakes but they cannot make mistakes either,” said the Italian. “It is an even game for many reasons, we will see who is going to be fitter and more focused.”
Zola has abandoned his attacking principles and set-up with a very defensive 5-4-1 system in recent weeks to secure hard-fought draws against Cardiff and Newcastle. Lukas Jutkiewicz is the hard-working lone front man.
You may also want to watch:
“I think it is very natural for this team to play better with a bigger team because the nature of this team is to defend firstly,” said Zola. “I realise that, that is the main reason why our game plan has changed a little bit.”
Opposition key man
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 3 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 4 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 5 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
- 7 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 8 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 9 Driver who killed 'dearly loved' man, 29, in crash is jailed
- 10 Witnesses sought after four-vehicle crash in east Suffolk
Ryan Shotton Versatile centre-back was imperious in the recent win at Wolves and home draw with Newcastle.
However, there’s also been mistakes and Zola has claimed the ex-Stoke and Derby man has a tendency to ‘play at his minimum’.
Andrew Madley (West Yorkshire)
36 games this season, issuing six red cards and 123 yellows.
Draw: 23/10 Birmingham: 21/10
Emyr Huws first goalscorer – 14/1 (bet365)
Welshman has been a positive influence in midfield since arriving on loan from Cardiff. Netted against Villa and Brentford. Should return to the team today.
0-0 draw - 13/2 (various)
Town’s last home outing, against Wolves, was a bore draw – their third at Portman Road this season. Birmingham are struggling for goals.
Draw at HT and FT – 4/1 (BetVictor)
No-one had drawn more games in the Championship than Ipswich this season (15).
Clayton Donaldson last goalscorer – 6/1 (various)
Jamaican international has been Birmingham’s topscorer in previous two seasons. Mick McCarthy is a big fan. Available again after a three-month absence. Could be a super sub today.