Ipswich Town v Hull City weather update: Blues continue battle to beat the big freeze ahead of clash
- Credit: Archant
Heavy snow and freezing conditions continue to put Ipswich Town’s clash with Hull City under threat.
Heavy snow in the town closed businesses and schools on Wednesday, as well as causing disruption to transport links, while further showers throughout Thursday have again caused issues in Ipswich. Further snow is forecast on Friday night into Saturday morning.
The club are confident the Portman Road pitch will be ready for the game with Hull, but there is concern regarding the areas around and approaching stadium as well as concourses and seating areas.
The playing surface has been covered since the club’s Under 23 game against West Brom on Monday afternoon, with hot air blowers able to heat the pitch once the layer of snow is removed.
The plan would be to leave those in place until Saturday morning before removing the covers and preparing the surface for the game.
That will ensure the pitch is playable, although any further spells of heavy snow will mean they must be lowered, due to the weight of the snow, with ground covers only protecting the pitch from freezing temperatures to a certain degree.
A major consideration for the club is the safety of supporters when making any decisions surrounding Saturday’s game, with the condition of roads and paths around Portman Road as well as on the concourses and in the stands also playing a part.
- 1 Man dies after being found unresponsive in Sudbury river
- 2 14 players that could solve Town's left-sided problem
- 3 'We're blown away' - Classic car show visits care home after roadworks setback
- 4 Ipswich Town installed as early League One title favourites
- 5 Historic former pub with permission to convert into homes set for auction
- 6 Man left with head injury after attack in seaside town
- 7 Former Suffolk poultry farm site could be converted into homes
- 8 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 9 5 new places to eat and drink in Woodbridge this year
- 10 GALLERY: 'Stunning' turnout as Hadleigh Show returns after enforced break
The worst-case scenario for the club would be heavy snowfall on Friday night, leaving little time to remove the snow and prepare the stadium and the surrounding area for action.
The snow brings back memories of the Blues’ televised game with Leicester in December 2010, when staff cleared the pitch during heavy snow.
Ipswich won the game 3-0, but not before the game was halted to enable the pitch to be cleared once again and the lines re-marked.