Matchday Recap: Blues come from behind to beat young Tottenham side
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town got off to a winning start in the EFL Trophy as they beat Tottenham’s Under 21s 2-1 this evening.
The competition - now sponsored by Leasing.com - is much-maligned in many quarters. There has been a #bteamboycott movement since Premier League clubs were allowed to enter academy sides, crowds are often very low in the group stages, while several managers have voiced their anger at the restrictions placed on them regarding selections.
Progress through a four-team group then win four knockout games and you play in a final at Wembley though.
"I'm actually looking forward to it," said coach Matt Gill. "It's an opportunity for some of the lads coming back from injury, who will add loads of value to the squad, to get some minutes.
"It's also an opportunity to play some academy boys and give them the experience of being in a senior environment.
"This sort of game is far better for players than a regular Under-23s game on a Monday afternoon."
- 1 World War Two-themed holiday accommodation plans at former airfield
- 2 Matchday Live: Chaplin wins it as Town claim three points
- 3 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 4 Police called to anti-vaccine demonstration at Suffolk pharmacy
- 5 McKenna hoping Portman Road routine changes can help 'find an edge'
- 6 9 forgotten pubs that were at the heart of their Suffolk towns
- 7 New cafe toasts successful first week
- 8 Police arrest driver after single car crash
- 9 Let's get physical, 'spanner in the works' and selection headaches
- 10 Appeal to find 33-year-old missing man