Ipswich Town wait on Matthew Kilgallon decision
- Credit: Archant
IPSWICH Town are waiting on the decision of Matthew Kilgallon after the released Sunderland centre-back held talks with the club.
The 29-year-old also has offers from Championship trio Blackburn, Birmingham and Wigan to ponder during a family holiday next week, with a move unlikely to happen until later this month.
A source close to the player told the EADT: “Matthew has got a number of options, but Ipswich are very much in the mix after he spoke to manager Mick McCarthy. A move down south would not be a problem as he puts his career first.”
York-born Kilgallon came through the ranks at Leeds United before making a £1.75m switch to Premier League side Sheffield United in 2007. He moved to Sunderland in 2010, but he has been limited to just 24 starts in three-and-half seasons.
Luke Chambers and Tommy Smith forged a strong central defensive partnership for Town at the back end of last season, but Blues boss McCarthy is keen to add some competition to that area of the side having been forced to loan in the likes of Patrick Kisnorbo, Danny Higginbotham and Reece Brown.
You may also want to watch:
McCarthy likes height and versatility in his players and Kilgallon, who stands at 6ft 2in tall and is also capable of operating at left-back, ticks both those boxes.
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 3 'We're working tirelessly... I'm hopeful of new signings fairly shortly' - Town CEO Ashton on transfers
- 4 Ipswich Town's 2021/22 League One fixtures revealed as Blues start at home
- 5 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 6 New beginnings, old faces and a return home - what to look for on 'fixtures day'
- 7 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
- 8 A&E under pressure as patient levels return to pre-pandemic levels
- 9 Ipswich to face army of familiar faces as Town draw U's in EFL Trophy
- 10 Sam Smith spotted in Suffolk - and could be recording a new album