It’s the bargain buys against the big spenders, but Ipswich Town boss isn’t envious of Nottingham Forest
- Credit: Archant
Mick McCarthy pits his bargain buys against moneybags Nottingham Forest tomorrow, but insists: “I am happy with my lot.”
Of Ipswich Town’s squad that went to Sheffield Wednesday on Tuesday, only Tyrone Mings – plucked from non-league for £10,000 – commanded a fee, whereas Forest’s starting XI that drew with Wigan in midweek cost more than £10m.
Paul Anderson, David McGoldrick and Luke Chambers, the latter signed by Paul Jewell, were all released by Forest and have become vital cogs for Town.
Compare that to the Reds’ £5.5m striker Britt Assombalonga, £1.5m winger Michail Antonio and £2.5m defender Kelvin Wilson, those buys bankrolled by Fawaz Al-Hasawi’s millions, and the gulf should be great.
However, ahead of the game at The City Ground, the difference between the teams is just two points, with Town in fifth place, ahead of today’s Championship fixtures.
“It does (show that money isn’t everything),” said McCarthy.
Marcus (Evans) saw that, having spent such a lot of money before, and watching us stay up after I came in November (2012), without spending anything. It was similar last year.
- 1 Town reject bid for midfielder Fraser but no Matete move
- 2 Glamping pods and shepherd huts proposed in holiday site expansion
- 3 Look inside 'immaculately presented' property with own bar and heated pool
- 4 Suffolk entrepreneur Mike Lynch loses $5bn fraud case with Hewlett Packard
- 5 Ed Sheeran pays the most tax of any celebrity in the UK
- 6 Popular Sudbury bakery reveals aim to save town's post office
- 7 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 8 46-year-old man who died in Great Bealings crash named
- 9 West Suffolk road closed after car crashes into ditch
- 10 Meet the Owls: A glaring weakness, young gun striker and the Luongo factor
“There are so many players willing to go out of contract now and I think we’re all looking for a Tyrone Mings, Christophe Berra, or Skusey (Cole Skuse).
“Listen, if someone gives you money, you are going to spend it, but I don’t care about what everyone else is doing, I am happy with my lads, and what we are doing.”
FULL MATCH PREVIEW - in today’s EADT