‘It won’t be easy’ - Ipswich manager Jewell tells young Carson

JOSH Carson was today warned by Ipswich Town manager Paul Jewell not to expect an easy ride on his way to making the grade as a professional footballer.

The 17-year-old hit the headlines after scoring both goals in Saturday’s 2-1 victory against Crystal Palace, and he is expected to keep his place for tonight’s Championship fixture against Middlesbrough at Portman Road (kick-off 7.45pm).

Jewell stayed out of the teenager’s way on Sunday after the player he has christened the ‘new George Best’ forgot about a training session.

“I wanted to make him sweat,” said Jewell, who said that a decision will be made nearer the time on whether to offer Carson a contract extension on his 18th birthday in June that would take him beyond his current deal that ends in the summer of 2012.

“If Josh keeps improving we will look to extend his contract.

You may also want to watch:

“I remember Leighton Baines at Wigan. I brought in his mum and dad and told them that I was not going to give him a lot of money to start with.

“If he did well we would give him a new contract. He did well so we did.

Most Read

“By the time I left Wigan he was on an awful lot of money.

“If you give players a nice easy contract too quickly, it can work against them sub-consciously.

“The next thing you know they have a new car and a new bird around their arm.

“I want them to have a thirst and hunger, to do something before they get the rewards.

“I’m quite happy for parents of young lads to trust me as a manager; if their son does well they won’t have to come looking for me, I will go looking for them.”

Carson had his parents Glynn and Elaine over from Antrim along with six relatives at the weekend and Jewell added: “He probably had every Sunday newspaper at home and had his mum and dad turning the pages over.

“I’ve called him the new George Best and he was missing at training.

“I rang him and he said he was at home having a cup of tea.

“He lives in digs just round the corner and was at the training ground to join in five minutes later.

“I told everyone about Sunday training, but I think be was on such a high after Saturday’s game that he probably didn’t hear me.

“It was a genuine mistake, but that’s what he is like and he’d cleaned my boots very well by Monday morning.

“He wanted to see me three times on Sunday, to apologise, which I refused each time by telling him I was busy.

“He kept coming back and I told him that I was even busier. So I let him sweat until yesterday.

“He’s a lovely kid, a cheeky chappie but he’s got to make sure that he’s got his head switched on.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter