Town battle to sign Walton and make ambitious Morsy enquiry
- Credit: PA
Ipswich Town are in a battle to land Brighton goalkeeper Christian Walton on loan and have made an ambitious enquiry about Middlesbrough midfielder Sam Morsy.
The EADT and Ipswich Star understands the Blues are in advanced talks with Seagulls stopper Walton, who played under Paul Cook's management for two seasons at Wigan, but face competition for his signature.
It's been reported by Football Insider that Championship duo Derby and Nottingham Forest have shown interest in the 25-year-old.
We understand that the Blues have alternative keeper options to turn to ahead of Tuesday night's transfer deadline following a sticky start to life at Portman Road for summer signing Vaclav Hladky.
Meanwhile, the Blues have started discussions with Boro about their tenacious midfielder Morsy.
Morsy was captain under Cook's management at both Chesterfield and Wigan and would certainly bring some differing qualities to the side.
It's an ambitious move, given the 29-year-old has been a regular starter for Neil Warnock's side, but there's a sense he could be made available at the right price given the midfield options at the Riverside.
The former Egyptian international was shown a straight red card for a late challenge in the latter stages of yesterday's 1-1 home draw with Blackburn.
Ipswich have signed 16 players already this summer, but Cook is keen to strengthen further following a six-game winless start to the campaign.
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 5 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 6 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 7 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 8 'Poor' infection control at care home sees used Covid test swab left in pile of clean PPE
- 9 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 10 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema