Ivar Ingimarsson released by Ipswich Town
IPSWICH Town have come to a financial agreement to terminate Icelandic defender Ivar Ingimarsson’s contract.
The 34-year-old was snapped up on a free transfer by Blues manager Paul Jewell last summer following his release by Championship rivals Reading.
Injuries disrupted the early stages of his time at Portman Road though, while he has looked off the pace on the handful of occasions he has been in the side.
The centre-back had a particularly poor game in the 3-1 home defeat to Nottingham Forest last Monday.
As a result, Jewell instructed owner Marcus Evans to negotiate a financial agreement with the player’s agent to cancel the final six months of his one-year deal.
You may also want to watch:
His short Blues career – which started so brightly with an assured display in the 3-0 win at Bristol City on the opening day of the season – included just six starts and two substitute appearances
“It was agreed soon after the Forest game,” revealed Jewell. “It just hasn’t worked out for him or us. He’s been a terrific professional, but sometimes it just doesn’t happen. I think Ivar accepts that.”
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 The stats which put Bonne top of the League One charts and firmly on course for a very rare Ipswich Town milestone
- 3 Suffolk families stunned after homes transformed on Changing Rooms
- 4 Channel 4's Changing Rooms comes to Bury St Edmunds tonight
- 5 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 6 Villagers call to stop 'hazardous' 5-week road closure with huge diversions
- 7 Suffolk coast named one of top UK destinations for autumn
- 8 Jail for man who threatened to 'do a Raoul Moat' and kill police
- 9 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 10 Donacien on his Ipswich Town future and why he wears the No.44 shirt
He continued: “We’ve come to an agreement with him and his agent to terminate his contract.
“I had a chat with his agent and just said it’s not working out. He’s a proud man and isn’t going to hang around if he’s not going to be involved.
“From day one it’s been stop-start for him so I just thought it would be better to cut ties.”